Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pea or straight ?? Roo in question . He sure is a sad looking fellow . This was my first experience with Buckeyes . So they do look gamey ? and should they ?

[
67664_buckeye_boy_004.jpg
img][/img]
[
67664_buckeye_boy_001.jpg
img][/img]

When Buckeyes are young (under 7 months old), they usually appear lanky, gamey, long legged as the ones pictured. Sometimes a male will develop later and some earlier -- but for juveniles, they look like they should. They will fill in as they get older.

Also, if Buckeyes aren't fed a high protein starter their first 8 weeks or so, they won't grow like they should -- they can still be nice birds but for optimal development they need a >28% protein starter. And all that said, there will be still be individuals in a group that will far exceed the others and as well. there will be those that don't thrive as well -- no rhyme or reason to it, just individual genetics.

To me, they look like they should. Without hands-on, I cannot discern anymore about them at their age.

Quote:
It does indeed happen. Some years, as Punky says, you'll see a lot after crossing a new line in. Cull them hard, (sell, eat, whatever) and it should go away. But never use one for breeding, no matter how spectacular a bird it is in other regards.

The single comb has been in there for decades, just have to be vigilant in keeping it from being replicated. One year I had all the offspring from one pen showing up with it, and once I culled the male it went away (although obviously at least one hen was a carrier.) This year I didn't see a single chick with it.

One more reason why I won't ship hatching eggs any more...

Are you able to tell the Buckeyes that carry single comb apart from the pure pea comb birds by wattle size?

Quote:
It does indeed happen. Some years, as Punky says, you'll see a lot after crossing a new line in. Cull them hard, (sell, eat, whatever) and it should go away. But never use one for breeding, no matter how spectacular a bird it is in other regards.

The single comb has been in there for decades, just have to be vigilant in keeping it from being replicated. One year I had all the offspring from one pen showing up with it, and once I culled the male it went away (although obviously at least one hen was a carrier.) This year I didn't see a single chick with it.

Are you able to tell the Buckeyes that carry single comb apart from the pure pea comb birds by wattle size?

Ryan, this bird has the SC gene.
63711_ipod_pix_1163.jpg

Mitch

Quote:

Query-Do you think the breeder I got eggs from, would mind if I named a pullet after her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom