Buckeye or Red?

Poppy Putentake

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2015
Vermont
Last May I got some new chicks, including one that was supposed to be a Buckeye. Now that she is a grown hen, I'm wondering whether she might actually be a Rhode Island Red or a New Hamphire Red. The main thing is, this hen has a large single comb, and Buckeyes are supposed to have a small pea comb.I got her at the local feed store, and they offer chicks from all three breeds I mentioned, from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. Maybe this one just got mixed up.

Feather color: Brown/orange/red or light chestnut, some black on tail feathers. I read that Buckeyes are supposed to have grey/slate under-feathering on the back, and I do not see this (or just maybe, I don't know what to look for).

Eyes and legs: Golden yellow.

Conformation: Noticablly long-legged and long-necked.

Temperament: Buckeyes are supposed to be docile and "friendly". This bird is feisty and active, somewhat dominating towards other chickens, and slightly skitish with humans.

Egg laying: Currently my best layer (of 4 birds). Nine eggs in last 9 days. Started on the late side (9 months), but the other birds did too, maybe due to frequent below-zero weather this winter.

Picture:
Buckeye maybe.jpg

This is a healthy bird and a good layer, so not really a problem, I'd just like to be sure what breed.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied. I should mention also that this bird weighs about 6 1/4 lbs., consistent with Buckeyes, but also with New Hampshire and Rhode Island Reds; but not with some of the smaller production red breeds. Also, Wikipedia describes Buckeyes as "stocky", and this long and lanky bird is anything but that.
Being a Pollyanna here, I had been tempted to try a Rhode Island Red for their reputed general hardiness and good egg laying, but was detered by hearing they were excessively aggressive and would not mix well with other breeds. I have actually not found that a problem. While this is definitely a frisky and feisty bird, my small mixed flock seems to get along. (Maybe this is due to the way I keep chickens -- a small number, raised under a broody hen, and free-ranging most of the time.) So, it may be a good thing that I ended up with a RIR unintentionally.

Thanks to all who replied. I should mention also that this bird weighs about 6 1/4 lbs., consistent with Buckeyes, but also with New Hampshire and Rhode Island Reds; but not with some of the smaller production red breeds. Also, Wikipedia describes Buckeyes as "stocky", and this long and lanky bird is anything but that.
Being a Pollyanna here, I had been tempted to try a Rhode Island Red for their reputed general hardiness and good egg laying, but was detered by hearing they were excessively aggressive and would not mix well with other breeds. I have actually not found that a problem. While this is definitely a frisky and feisty bird, my small mixed flock seems to get along. (Maybe this is due to the way I keep chickens -- a small number, raised under a broody hen, and free-ranging most of the time.) So, it may be a good thing that I ended up with a RIR unintentionally.

Well, I can say that I have a hatchery Buckeye, and I wouldn't characterize her as 'stocky'. She's not as lanky as my hamburgs, and not as stocky as my Wyandotte even. That's part of the trouble with Hatchery quality... They aren't going to be near standard.

Back
Top Bottom