Budget automatic coop door or diy?

Pics
Sorry if I am bombarding you with information. I Just want you to be informed. As you can see from this picture (only a third) I have done a lot of research into finding the best and simplest way to DIY a door controller, While trying to keep costs as low as possible.

View attachment 3199285

Seems a bit silly/funny/ironic and kinda sad, to have spent all this time, money and effort in trying to find the less time consuming, effortless and low cost way to do it. LOL

I am saddened for your loss. I know how it feels. I have lost a few to illness and predators. The las flock I had and lost all I have is anger tho. I did not lose them to nature. It was some vagrants that kept trespassing onto our rear neighbors lot. I had eight hens and one roo named Michael. They came in through our back fence gate and killed all of them and only took 2 of then and left the other four. I guess beggars CAN be choosly. Poor Michael tried his hardest to defend the girls. They ended up kicking him so hard. I found him laying at my patio door. That's how I knew something was way worse at the coop. Found the bodies. Not parts of, but whole bodies and I knew it wasn't a predator. Went inside and saw it all go down on the security cameras.

Anyway sorry, I get upset whenever I think about it and I have to vent.

Thank you for your kind words. I try my best to give the clearest to the point advise/info that I can. Even tho I still can get a bit long winded. Plus I work on the diagrams a lot trying to get them to be as clear as possible. I like to make diagrams vs schematics when it comes to this sort of stuff. Makes it easier to follow (I think) when the wires are going to actual parts a person is actually using.

As to the relay:

Short answer is.... Yes.

Long answer is..... Yes, but,

Those cheaper relay and socket sets are not that great in quality. The sockets tend to be brittle or get brittle a lot sooner. This one was band new. Came shipped like this. Thought it was from shipping but some of the "fins" were not broken when I opened the package, it was later that day I was testing them that it broke even more.

View attachment 3199294

The relays are usually rated better than what they are. I honestly can't see how they rate them as high as they do when you can't even insert wire that can handle that rating. Well I know why they do it, but that's a different rant. I personally burned up a few and heard that it happens often. Mind you that is in forums where the people (pros) work in electrical mechanical fields. In fact most of then won't use then due to quality issues.

I don't like them because their screw terminals are smaller. Even when I was younger I always got frustrated when trying to put the wire in. Even now using the ferrules it is still a problem because the ferrules make the wire just a bit thicker. Adding that the one you linked to is a mini version. Even smaller terminals. It maye only 2mm wider but when it comes to wire gauges it can matter.

View attachment 3199295View attachment 3199298View attachment 3199299

One last thing about these type of sockets, that I absolutely hate. While the other things I mentioned may or not be an issue all the time or everytime installing, is that the terminals are stacked over each other. When you are installing wires in some order, you have to remember to put the bottom ones first, or you will have take the tops ones off to put the bottom on. Or if accidently wire it incorrectly. That is the MAIN reason that I highly recommend getting relay sockets that the terminals are in rows on and not rows and "columns". LOL even in this example I accidentally proved my point. The wires on the right are still attached to on the terminal blocks that I took off another project. I did not want to take them completely apart, so I decided to wire the black ones first(not thinking), and the reds second. Well the top black is preventing the me from screwing down the bottom red. LOL. I don't know about you, but even with having clear diagrams (or even a simple mock up) I still sometimes goof. Having terminals like the one on the right helps keep my sanity.

View attachment 3198348 View attachment 3198349

So yes you can use that relay but expect a little bit of difficulty. Even with the better quality ones I get/order backups. It would be a good thing if you did to. Or at least look to local supply houses to purchase it from. If, or when, the time does come to need a replacement you can get it right away.

Not sure where you are wanting that timer to go. Or what purpose. I can guess that you want to use it instead of the counter I linked to.? If that is the case then the answer is No. The Counter and that timer are completely different things.
DH48J-8 is a COUNTER, a counter is what is needed.
DH48S-S is a TIMER

All the counter does is, well, count the times the pressure switch makes contact. Once the it reaches a set number it cuts/diverts the power from the Linear Actuator and 3PDT Relay.

What that timer does is when it is triggered, it turns the power on and off at intervals you set. What will happen is after it triggers the Actuator and the relay will just shut off for a few minutes (whatever interval it's set to) then turn back on and retrigger(if obstruction is still there. Or chicken) then will turn back on and again trigger and the cycle will continue.

Amazon
8 Pin Digital Counter DH48J-8 12VAC/DC 24
$11.98 Ships from China

Baomain DIN Rail Track Mount Relay Socket Base P2CF-08 8P Screw
$5.19 each shipping $1.56

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!WARNING!
This seller (I think is in UK) has very bad reviews. Only posting because it is low priced, and that may make someone want to chose this one over the others.

Vensans Digital Counter, O111ROM DH48J-8 LCD Digital Electronic Counter 8 Pins Delay Time Relay 0-999900(12VAC/DC)
$7.84 free shipping.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aliexpress
DH48J-8A Electronic preset digital counters acyclic display counters 1-999900 relay 8P with base DC12V/24V/36V AC110V/220V/380V
$7.99 each shipping $0.95

1pcs Relay Socket Base P2CF-08 8pin For DH48S ST3P AH3-3 MK2P JTX-2C H3CR Rail Mounting
$1.99 each shipping $0.82

Cheaper relay sets.
If you buy any of these relays with (*), the configuration inside the relay, will make the pinout/wiring different and the other relay socket, can be used but it will be confusing.

On Amazon
Baomain General Purpose Relay JQX-10F 12 VDC Coil 3PDT 11 Pin with PF113A Socket Base
$9.78 each shipping $1.56 I thinks Seller is from China. This is the one I would buy if I was to pick any of these. Well if I was only going to buy one, two or four.

uxcell JQX-10F 12 VDC Coil General Purpose Relay 3PDT 11 Pin with Socket Base
$14.31 each Sold and Shipped from Amazon. This one I would buy if I was to pick any of these if I was only going to buy one. That's because if it fails I can always order another and get it faster.

This is an eBay seller in the US
*MK3P-I MK3P DC 12VDC Relay 11 Pin 10A 250V AC with Socket base
$12.95 free shipping from Florida. Socket base is one of the cheaper ones but better quality.

This eBay seller in China
JQX-10F Coil General Purpose Relay 11 Pin w Socket 3PDT DC 12V✦Kd
$8.13 free shipping from china.

Aliexpress
JQX-10F 12V DC Coil General Purpose Relay 3PDT 11 Pin w Socket Base
$8.75 each free shipping.

*Intermediate relay MK3P-I MK3P small electromagnetic relay 11PIN with base DC12V DC24V AC110V AC220V
$1.99 each shipping for one $5.26
I ordered a few of these and didn't realize that I had chosen the wrong link from my list. Even tho the Pin out is not the regular pin out (that can be used with the sockets I recommended) they came with sockets, so I can still use them.

View attachment 3199181 View attachment 3199187
i thought the same about the time/money/effort but honestly it’s fun to do it yourself (at least that’s what i think and tell myself ;) ).

i was just not paying attention when i saw the “timer” instead of the counter (whoops). i ordered the counter as you indicated. i had hoped to get it sooner which is why i picked the other - but didn’t see the timer vs. counter and of course they are exactly alike otherwise…..

ordered the counter so all is well (although i will have to wait to test it a bit…mid august??)

i also order this: uxcell S13052300am0141 DC 12V Coil 5A 3PDT General Purpose Power Relay HH53P 11 Pin W Base Socket https://a.co/d/fysTsZX

and don’t worry about the long responses - i am similar typically - just not so much with integrating chickens into my world lol. i’ve attached two pics of the coop currently and that should help explain why a two week project is now at 4 weeks! you can see the chickens in a detachable chicken tractor (it can be used to extend the run or as a tractor) behind the coop. the other photo is of the woods behind our home. we have a lot of work, i mean FUN, to do now that we live in the country/mountains.

oh, another thing i’m doing is using your door system to essentially lift/close two doors at once. easy to do really, just make a big door (actual door) and two openings for it. 👍🏻

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
i thought the same about the time/money/effort but honestly it’s fun to do it yourself (at least that’s what i think and tell myself ;) ).

i was just not paying attention when i saw the “timer” instead of the counter (whoops). i ordered the counter as you indicated. i had hoped to get it sooner which is why i picked the other - but didn’t see the timer vs. counter and of course they are exactly alike otherwise…..

ordered the counter so all is well (although i will have to wait to test it a bit…mid august??)

i also order this: uxcell S13052300am0141 DC 12V Coil 5A 3PDT General Purpose Power Relay HH53P 11 Pin W Base Socket https://a.co/d/fysTsZX

and don’t worry about the long responses - i am similar typically - just not so much with integrating chickens into my world lol. i’ve attached two pics of the coop currently and that should help explain why a two week project is now at 4 weeks! you can see the chickens in a detachable chicken tractor (it can be used to extend the run or as a tractor) behind the coop. the other photo is of the woods behind our home. we have a lot of work, i mean FUN, to do now that we live in the country/mountains.

oh, another thing i’m doing is using your door system to essentially lift/close two doors at once. easy to do really, just make a big door (actual door) and two openings for it. 👍🏻
So you are still going with that relay...? Well good since I went ahead and redid the Diagram To include it. Would have been a shame to have done the work and not get to show it. I am getting better at drawing up the components.

MHCOZY 1 Linear Actuator Distro Snap Terminal wIndicator Light wDoor Sensor Blade Relay Mini A...png

Next is learning how to animate it all to show how it works. Want to make it so people can see it working and understand it better. It is one thing to follow a diagram but another to troubleshoot and fix. So I made these just in case. I hope people can understand the way I laid it out.

Operation, Counter.png

Operation, Relay.png

Is that a concrete floor?! Love the color of that coop and run. Very warm, and inviting. I am very much liking that roof design.

Last edited:

Just dropping this here for your consideration. Just one possible solution to the 2x4 issue.

OK OK OK last one I promise.

3D rendering of possible/suggested solution to 2x4 in the way of door operation of Double Chicken Door. Another one. I think I might have an addiction. LOL

How is it going? Hope all is well.

Back
Top Bottom