Budgie Color Variety/Mutation

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Anyone well versed with budgie/parakeet mutations and varieties?
I've done some reading, looked at charts/pictures, and I've watched informative videos.

Still, I'd like some info and opinions on my new girl (or boy?)
Can anyone identify my bird's variety?
[As for gender, everyone has told me that it's a girl, but typing in 'pink cere' immediately says that young males sport pale pink/purple ceres and won't darken til they start to mature. Young females typically have white / pale blue ceres that turn tan/brown when they mature... According to the internet.]

My bird is still a baby (has yet to undergo a first molt, still has barring above the cere and button eyes).

20200113_214514.jpg

20200113_144022.jpg

Sky blue opaline pied. That is a young male, maybe around 2-3 months. Baby males have a solid colored cere, usually light purple or pink, while females have one with a light ring around their nostrils.
Pic for reference
b642257cc19ee014431585297e727d37.jpg
Thank you so much!
The people at the store didn't know the age or gender, but they said "we primarily sell females, if that helps".
As soon as I purchased my bird and settled him in a new cage, I started researching.
I guessed young male, opaline, but I am too new to budgies to actually know much.
Your info and picture helps me feel more knowledgeable about my new buddy.

Thank you so much!
The people at the store didn't know the age or gender, but they said "we primarily sell females, if that helps".
As soon as I purchased my bird and settled him in a new cage, I started researching.
I guessed young male, opaline, but I am too new to budgies to actually know much.
Your info and picture helps me feel more knowledgeable about my new buddy.
Pretty, pretty little budgie!

He's a beautiful budgie, I love his colour.

I had a budgie that colour, he died e recently though after breaking his leg.:hit
I am so sorry for your loss! I'm sure he was a wonderful bird.
I'm rather new to keeping budgies. Any tips or shared stories are welcome! I've read extensively already, but the best information comes from people with more personal experience than Doc Internet.

I am so sorry for your loss! I'm sure he was a wonderful bird.
I'm rather new to keeping budgies. Any tips or shared stories are welcome! I've read extensively already, but the best information comes from people with more personal experience than Doc Internet.

Happy to provide any info I can.

Back
Top Bottom