Budgie Eggs!

Pics
Well well, if it's not my females being nesty already
IMG_20220119_111854.jpg
IMG_20220119_111829.jpg

By the way, the first female is the daughter of the second female! :love

Do they have specific times of the year when they nest? Are they more broody in spring, or can it happen at any time? How can you tell?
Budgies are opportunistic breeders aka they will breed in any time of the year if the right necessities are available. But Spring for captive breeding is the best time as it isn't too cold or too hot in spring. In the wild, budgies breed after heavy rainfall

They did! But while breeding I've experienced that some of the males just keep playing a lot and don't take care of the female in the incubation period. For example, the male in the first cage created problems in the incubation period of his first clutch because he was too playful and disturbed the female to play with him while incubating, I feared their eggs might get bad, so by not giving him any toys, it bored him for the while and he kept the female in good care for then! And when his chicks hatched, I did give him the toys then but he didn't play with them as fatherhood is tough for budgies really, they can't even eat properly, any free time is spent sleeping. And as per the second cage, they just dont play during the breeding period (the female mainly, the male isnt interested in playing too) so I just dont give them toys. But dont worry, it's just for the breeding period, when they are in their normal cage with their buddies, they have plenty of paper, sticks, leaves (safe for budgies), ice cream sticks and jingly balls to play with and destroy. Here where I live budgie toys cant be found so I stick with DIY toys I can easily make at home and small toys for children! They have a lot of fun dont worry, just while breeding, I prefer not to provide any toys :) And while breeding I try to keep the setting as simple as possible to get best results, but other than that, their cages are loaded with toys! Though it doesnt seem like it because most of them are paper balls and twigs I made, not really colorful BUT they still have fun with it. I had rope perches but removed them after coming to know that budgies sometimes swallow it and it could result in a crop build up and they could die :(
That's good!

Budgies are opportunistic breeders aka they will breed in any time of the year if the right necessities are available. But Spring for captive breeding is the best time as it isn't too cold or too hot in spring. In the wild, budgies breed after heavy rainfall
Mine are crazy right now!!!!! The fledglings mom is back on 4 eggs, Bella just started hatching and I have 2 co-nesting in the large box :th
And it’s 🥶 here!!!!

Back
Top Bottom