Budgie Talk and Chat Thread

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
:frow
Hope y’all are doing well!
I recently became obsessed with budgies when my friend introduced them to me. I’m planning to get 2 on Christmas! :celebrate
If I get budgies however, I might not be able to get chickens, which I was planning to get for about a year now. :barnie
I still think budgies are the best for my lifestyle, but I’ve dedicated so much time to studying poultry :(
For those of you budgie and chicken owners, which one do YOU think is better for a beginner bird keeper?
This is also a chat thread, by the way! Feel free to show off budgies, poultry, or pigeons.

It all depends on your goal for the animal. Do you want a pet that needs other pets around but still gives you eggs? That would be chickens. But if you want an inside pet that can be alone but needs lots of time with you, that would be a budgie. Budgies would be less maintenance but they don't give you eggs. I personally have a cockatiel and chickens. Love them the same. Good luck with whatever you decide!

:frow
Hope y’all are doing well!
I recently became obsessed with budgies when my friend introduced them to me. I’m planning to get 2 on Christmas! :celebrate
If I get budgies however, I might not be able to get chickens, which I was planning to get for about a year now. :barnie
I still think budgies are the best for my lifestyle, but I’ve dedicated so much time to studying poultry :(
For those of you budgie and chicken owners, which one do YOU think is better for a beginner bird keeper?
This is also a chat thread, by the way! Feel free to show off budgies, poultry, or pigeons.
I do not have budgies, but I do have a conure and a Cockatiel. I personally think that chickens are easier to keep. Parrots need constant attention to keep them entertained while chickens can keep each other content because there needs to be more then one of them. A common misconception is that chickens are just “barnyard animals” not pets. My 9 chickens are completely our pets, and they are so affectionate and sweet. Might I also mention the cost difference! From what I am aware of, parrots are a ton more expensive than chickens. With chickens, you can sell their eggs and chicks for a little extra cash. I’d say go with chickens! Good luck!

I've had both, and both can be fun. I think budgies are certainly easier in many respects. Even a large cage for a budgie is likely to be cheaper than a coop and run setup for chickens, and take up much less space. Budgies smell less. They live in the house, so you don't have to go out everyday, rain or snow or cold notwithstanding, to care for them. Budgies can be very sweet and personable, but can also be flighty and bitey, depending on how they are raised and handled. Same with chickens. Budgies can live by themselves IF you spend a lot of time with them. Chickens do best with other chickens. You might want to start with a budgie, and maybe get the chickens later.

Thanks for the replies!
I’m planning to keep both as pets, but it’s not the best environment for the chickens around my neighborhood. With loud noises, lawnmowers, dogs, and predators, I think I might go with the budgies.
Ok! Just to say, I have noticed that my chickens have gotten used to dogs, loud noises, and lawnmowers. But, you make the best decision for you! Blessings

Back
Top Bottom