Buff Barred Cochin

Quote:
I have three shades of gold barring in mine. He doesn't doesn't look like the birds I have been presuming have two barring genes as he has his more colour. I've been selecting mostly for type (apart from obvious faults) & thus far the typiest males have all be het for barring, so I don't know for certain. If he does turn out to be homozygous barring, please will you let me know so I can learn.

I am only going his looks..he is much lighter than his dad and also from other brothers. I placed him in with the hens yesterday, but won't start incubating the eggs until after 3 week so I will know for sure the offspring are his. Sure I will let you know how it turns out.

swheat - here are the babies I hatched from you. The 3 in the front are the ones that showed up with barring. The 1 in the very back that you can barely see by the feeder is the one that's solid buff. I think I ended up with 3 cockerels....sigh.

15626_dscn1986.jpg

Quote:
Nice looking chicks !
big_smile.png
I have eggs available that can go out tomorrow..Just email or PM me.

What about the solid chick..if it is a pullet keep her to breed to the barred cockerels. I think you can use the same principle of breeding Barred to Black. Some of the black hens will have slightly white tipping, if you breed those to a double barred roo , resulting offspring should have good barring. I don't see why it would not work with buff too !

Last edited:
I think you can use the same principle of breeding Barred to Black. Some of the black hens will have slightly white tipping, if you breed those to a double barred roo , resulting offspring should have good barring. I don't see why it would not work with buff too !

Yes, that works with barring on anything.
wink.png

I have one for you guys: swheat or Krys109uk.

A couple of years back I ended up with a buff barred roo from some eggs that I had gotten from my friend. And he had a buff/lemon barred pullet hatch out of his flock also.

The Roos he had in the pen for breeding were a Barred rock roo & a Barred rockxWt. Rock roo. The only thing close to a buff colored hen in the bunch was a Gold sex-link pullet( I mean the more buff/wt. colored ones instead of the more common red/wt. combo as most are typical of). The rest of the hens were RIReds, SLW, and BRs. So I don't think any other than the GSL could have thrown that kinda mix.

Anyway I want to make this color again and what I've got to work with this year so far is a BR roox GSL pullets will this give me what I'm looking for or what do ya'll think the outcome will be on this cross.

I'm just experimenting because I saw another Buff barred on here and also tadkerson's red barred roo so I just got an itch I wanted to scratch this spring.

catdaddy

Last edited:
Some years back a fellow I knew had Wyandotte Bantams like this [he called them Cream Barred]. They were very pretty but they didn't breed true. Don't know if that would be the case with these or not.

Quote:
Thank you.

It is an easy project. Breed buff to barred, male offspring to buff females, select for type & colour from there.
wink.png

You said breed buff to barred, is that buff roo to barred hen or the other way around?

Back
Top Bottom