Buff/Black Orpington cross?

Quote:
Bill is right in that all black X Buff crosses will look like his bird. We had a black hen jump a fence and get in with the buffs. We hatched two that looked just like the above bird. Pure Orpington, just mixed varieties. We sold the pullet at our county fair for $5 for a backyard layer. The cockerel is being kept for a future sunday dinner.

No some MAY LOOK LIKE THIS BIRD.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/lildinkem/022-5.jpg

that's because your Black boy was based on silver.. so you got a Golden columbian restricted roo...
wink.png

Here is what our Black x Buff looks like. We had so many chicks in the brooder house, I just thought these were younger. When he crowed this week in front of me, it was easier to determine taht he was indeed an Orpington bantam. We had this cross early on this year, but did not hatch any chicks ourselves. So they must have came from swap eggs.

47716_project_orp_1.jpg

47716_project_orp_2.jpg

Or at least we think that is how this happened.

Last edited:
Here is what you hens should look like too. They are sexlinks from a buff orp crossed with barred rock hens, but it would be the same when crossing with any extended black based bird.
37373_100_5227.jpg

And as others have said, you could possivly get some roose with some silver leakage comming through if you black hens are silver based. But you shouldn't get any hens with silver leakage from a buff roo. But if you had a silver based black roo on buff hens, you could get pullets with silver where the buff is on the pic I posted and they are really pretty.

Last edited:
I ended up with a Black Roo slit to lavender on a buff hen and turned out the following offspring....sorta cool!

It mimics the gold laced orp lacing patterns, but definitely NOT a gold laced orp. Still pretty though!

2 Roos with buff and black feathers....sorta nice contrast of colors!

Back
Top Bottom