Buff Brahma crossed with Dark Brahma Genetics

CharlieVoda

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Mankato, Mn
Hello
I have some hens that are a mistaken cross of a Buff Brahma rooster and Dark Brahma hens. The offspring hens are buff with about 2/3rds dark black penciling as in a Dark Brahma hen. Where would I go from here to try and breed these they are beautiful. I am thinking Buff rooster to them. They are penciled throughout except on the breasts. I do not have a cockarel from the breeding that I know of. I thought these were buff chicks until they started to feather out. If there was a cockarel it was a Dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Darks are Arbuckle / Rust and the Buff was a Jim Burns bird.
Thanks Charlie

The penciling is very distinct and crisp in 5 of 7 pullets. Does this mean they will never breed true. They are now about 6 months old. I would like to pursue this project, but do not wish to spin my wheels either. Nor do I wish to end up with birds that have to be double mated. I got these from a buddy that hatched them. He raises SQ Large and Bantam Light, and Bantam Buff and Dark Brahma. I raise SQ Large and Bantam Dark Brahma and have some Buffs in Bantam. Between the two of us we could raise a couple hundred more birds per year if need be. Do I use Buff Colombian for male and silver partridge for the female in the calculator? The calculator and genetics in general are confusing to me. Obviously I do not know much about genetics but willing to learn. I will try to post a few pics today.
Thanks Again

Not bad.
The combination Co/Co Pg/Pg is not well documented, but very interesting. I'll explain.
Dark brahma would be the Pg/Pg, and buff (columbia) brahma the Co/Co.
Question would be: could the buff brahma be hiding Pg as well.
Then the cross would permit the pencilling to be expressed again due to the Co becoming heterozygous and less powerfull (Co/co+ Pg/Pg).

On the other hand: the germans have a form of pencilling called "Braungebändert" that has pencilled females and largely buff (columbian)-type males.
I speculated that these could be the undocumented Co/Co Pg/Pg. The problem with this would be that all the combinations would be difficult to label.
You can't tell a braungebändert female from a pencilled one.
You can't tell a braungebändert male from a buff columbian one.

Quote:
Just found this thread. Those are some beautiful chickens. Have you done anything with them yet as far as tryiong to breed them on in hat color pattern?

I noticed a Partridge hen in the background of several photos. Do you have a Partridge male?
If so I would use him on the pullets & mate the resulting F1 birds together
David

CharlieVoda- is this the look you were going for? Any ideas on how to breed more of this beautiful Brahma? Buff coloration with dark Brahma penciling throughout.

Attachments

• CD435AAA-3217-41BF-87F2-D382D98A3DBC.jpeg
    CD435AAA-3217-41BF-87F2-D382D98A3DBC.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom