Buff Brahma X Buff Orpington - Unique chick!

Chimera is my thinking.
I know it’s probably something else but that‘s what my brain says when I look at her.

Chimera is my thinking.
I know it’s probably something else but that‘s what my brain says when I look at her.

Chimera could explain why the head & neck don't seem to match the rest of the bird, but a chimera still needs to come from one mother, and in this case one father as well (because he's the only rooster). And I'm stumped on how those parents produced all that white.

I don't think it's mottling, given what we know of the parents; and it's certainly not Silver or Dominant White or Recessive White or Barring :confused:

Is that her back, then I'd say it looks patchy.
That patch is actually over her gizzard, however I did find a little on her back that was more difficult to photograph. It was very difficult to see any of her skin, I will have to try again, maybe when she is molting 😂

I looked into sex-linked albino chickens as best I could, and it does look like what Freya is displaying :) I am curious though, Freya is a runt, is that common with albinism?

There is an interesting option raised @Northwest_Wannabe : the kippenjungle crossbreeding predictor indicated that cream dilutes might show up in the 3rd generation. So, that is there to consider as will. Still her runt factor though, and her neck and head coloring.

Definitely a complicated mystery, my little Freya <3

Chimera could explain why the head & neck don't seem to match the rest of the bird, but a chimera still needs to come from one mother, and in this case one father as well (because he's the only rooster). And I'm stumped on how those parents produced all that white.

I don't think it's mottling, given what we know of the parents; and it's certainly not Silver or Dominant White or Recessive White or Barring :confused:
X2 the odd pattern still needs to come from somewhere. I’m 98 percent sure that isn’t sex linked albinism though.

X2 the odd pattern still needs to come from somewhere. I’m 98 percent sure that isn’t sex linked albinism though.

So far our best theory comes from the kippenjungle crossbreeding site, which indicated that cream dilute can occur in the 3rd generation. Not 100% sure how, or where her head and neck coloring comes from though.

It looks like a brahma rooster marking, and I am mystified.

So far our best theory comes from the kippenjungle crossbreeding site, which indicated that cream dilute can occur in the 3rd generation.

But cream should change ALL gold to cream, all over her body. She's still got all that gold in the head and neck, and (even more important to me) she's also got gold mixed right in there with the white patches. 🤔

But cream should change ALL gold to cream, all over her body. She's still got all that gold in the head and neck, and (even more important to me) she's also got gold mixed right in there with the white patches. 🤔
Exactly! That is why I'm still so confused. So, still keeping the partial albinism in mind. Hopefully someone will come in who knows :p

I have pure bred Buffs, too, and 2 chicks from this year's hatch are mixed buff and cream. 2 others ended up with no feathers at all! The parents all look completely normal( except the rooster had 2 more bumps on his comb than the required 5).

Wow!!!! They're all gorgeous! I LOVE Freya! She is so pretty!
I have no idea. @NatJ @MysteryChicken @RoostersAreAwesome ?
I don’t think I ever got this tag.
So, I was able to check out and work that site, and I am very interested in those cream dilutes that pop in the third generation :D That seems a very likely explanation for her coloring, even if I don't fully understand why it appears, nor does it explain her lovely bronze neck.

Her neck and head coloring is actually what has confused me the most, since Brahma hens simply don't get that coloring, only the roosters do. She has the exact shade of red-gold that her father has :) It is precious :)

The site indicates that a blue covering her will produce 50/50 blue and black, just like her sister's, so nothing really exciting there :)
Did you ever breed her?

Back
Top Bottom