Buff cuckoo marans

Toon

Chirping
Aug 9, 2019
Is there a way to make buff cuckoo marans? Because i can't seem to find one. For as far as i know you need the e^b e^b gene, which i don't think any marans variety carries. Is there anything i've missed?

Actually, buff is normally wheaten based.
Wheaten, Colombian, ginger mahogany, dilute
e^whe^whCoCoDbDbMhMhDiDi

Unfortunately, most of the other modifiers are not typically found in Marans, but they wouldn't be very difficult to introduce, because all of these modifiers are dominant. It would be a simple matter of crossing a buff Orpington with a wheaten Marans.
Once you have a stable buff Marans, you would cross this with cuckoo.

It would be painful because all of the recessives would come back to bite you in the butt, but it would be doable.

Actually, buff is normally wheaten based.
Wheaten, Colombian, ginger mahogany, dilute
e^whe^whCoCoDbDbMhMhDiDi

Unfortunately, most of the other modifiers are not typically found in Marans, but they wouldn't be very difficult to introduce, because all of these modifiers are dominant. It would be a simple matter of crossing a buff Orpington with a wheaten Marans.
Once you have a stable buff Marans, you would cross this with cuckoo.

It would be painful because all of the recessives would come back to bite you in the butt, but it would be doable.

I found a way! It'll be e+ e+ based, but will come out looking like buff cuckoo. If you cross a crele (not recognised but i know bev davis has them) roo to a buff blacktail hen, you'll get offspring looking like buff cuckoo. Then you cross the female offspring back to the father. After that you'll need to determine which of the offspring carry e+e+ and which carry e^wh e+, and breed the e+e+ together. Does anyone know how to check for e+e+? Like a cross to a certain colour of chicken?

here a photo of my Black tail tail cuckoo marans .he is wheaten based .
P1100184 (1).JPG
P1100208 (1).JPG

is this sort of buff are you looking to make?

chooks man

I found a way! It'll be e+ e+ based, but will come out looking like buff cuckoo. If you cross a crele (not recognised but i know bev davis has them) roo to a buff blacktail hen, you'll get offspring looking like buff cuckoo. Then you cross the female offspring back to the father. After that you'll need to determine which of the offspring carry e+e+ and which carry e^wh e+, and breed the e+e+ together. Does anyone know how to check for e+e+? Like a cross to a certain colour of chicken?

Bev has a gorgeous crele marans ,correct type and body pattern .they are e+/e+ .if you cross them to Black Tail Buff marans Wheaten based .. the chicks will be e+/Ewh . wheaten { Ewh } is dominant to e+ wild type .so the chicks will look orange/redish wheaten with a white dot on they head ,cockerels large dot ,pullets small or nothing . as adult they all be buff cuckoo .
if you mate those F1 between them selves you will get F2 . all sort of chicks ,from Wheaten .buff, cuckoo buff ,salmon . select only the cuckoo buff and mate them to each other ,you will get F3 cuckoo buff . a lot testing is needed to find the ones you need to breed forward .
chicks chatch down will help a lot if you look closely .
the wheaten based chicks should no have any strip on the back
Wheaten X e+ will be wheaten looking but they have a small broken strips on they back .

I did this crossing and end up with great result .
chooks man

Chooks man, that's exactly what i'm looking for! Thanks for the tips, and congrats on that gorgeous roo you've got there!

Chooks man, that's exactly what i'm looking for! Thanks for the tips, and congrats on that gorgeous roo you've got there!

thank you ,was not easy to make him took me and my friend 5 years to come out with him and few silver colombian . we did not have many varieties to start with just a lot wheaten ,one silver cuckoo from UK and Black tail buff cockerels . those are the 3 varieties we worded with to come up with this dude Golden Boy . now we need to make him few hens .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom