Marans genetic and how to breed them to SOP

Chooks man

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Sydney NSW Australia
this new thread is specific to marans chooks genetic make up , what it a genome of each variety and how to breed them to SOP . we try to talk and highlight the original French SOP but we can descuss other SOP as well like US and UK .they are almost similar just few variation ,
most peoples are interested in the famous marans variety Black copper marans BCM the most popular and dominant . well spread around a world .
we will go through the french SOP by explainning each trait ,what are the genes regulating or responsible for the trait and how to to breed it true or eliminate it completly from the flock .
marans caracterictic as described by SOP;

THE SHAPE OF THE BODY

On the whole, the body, of the cock and the hen, must always show itself as being rather powerful. At the same time, this concept in the Marans, covers several desired characteristics that should be met:

• - a broad, rather prominent chest, neither flat nor shallow
  • - a full abdomen
  • - medium height on the legs
  • - a good width in the shoulders, neither skimpy nor narrow
  • - a long neck, rather strong to the head
  • - robust thighs
  • - a strong base to the tail
  • - a rather long back, indicating mass
The plumage, which is never to be loose or fluffy, is rather tight in the Marans, making it impossible to give an impression of undesirable heaviness, when selecting for the ideal type. On the whole, these characteristics simply give the appearance of a rustic, [if !mso]>
solid farm hen. The slightly inclined back gives, the ideal type, a minimum length to the shape of the body that overall must fit into a rectangular shape. In the cock, the back is a slightly flat, slightly long, and a little sloped to the rear. The hens, however, have a more horizontal back, than that of the cocks, but should never be too short.

The drawings shown here make it possible to visualize these various elements:

Type%20Silhouette.jpg

I will go through explainning each point and posting photos as example for you guys to see .
all the photos will be mostly from my flocks but not all ,I will import some photos fro different surces if I need or use some photos from the International Black copper marans like @Bantambird silver black. she has high quality flock .

chooks man

in this thread you do talk about hybrid ( marans crosses ) only pure strains .for peoples who want to breed to the SOP .
every question about marans chooks is wolcome I will do my best to unswear it if I can .

lot marans photos will be posted in this thread to highlight all the traits .make it easy for peoples to see what I m talking about .

chooks man

how marans hen/hens should look like ,
what they weights and legs ring diametre

Hen: 2.6 to 3.2 kilos = 5.72 to 7.04 Ib
Pullet: 2.2 to 2.6 kilos = 4.84 to 5.72 Ib

marans hen/hens should have long flat back not as tiltted as the Cock

photos of good looking marans hens;all this hens have a long body ,well pronounced deep chest ,long flat back and well developped abdomen . not too tall .
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG

chooks man

I’l be sure to follow this thread since the Wheaten thread isn’t super lively.
that will be great .
we will be talking about al the marans varieties . so you welcome to ask any question about them .
we will talk a lot about how to breed every traits in or out and what are they nature if it is sex linked or autossome .
chooks man

what are the wrong marans body type out there ,we should avoid working with them .
wrong body type #1 is the V shape .
this body type has a short back ,high tail ,very shallow chest . look like a v when viwed from a side .
here photo of a rooster I have ;
IMG_0558 (1).JPG
IMG_0558 (1)_LI.jpg

we do not breed from this type .

here a photo of the hens with V shape body type;
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1061_LI.jpg

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom