Marans genetic and how to breed them to SOP

Comb: single, of an average size, with a fairly rough texture. Sharp edges. The lobes do not touching the nape

photos of a good comb
this photo is from @Bantambird photo album . excellent comb.
1687261428931.png

cock comb
IMG_0561 (1).JPG

cock from @marchick
1687262658716.png

photos of bad combs
super arched comb with too many points
IMG_0557 (1).JPG

the lobe in this rooster comb is short not well define ,is forming a V shap with last point . some will call it split lobe .
IMG_0448.JPG

there is many bad combs out there ,some have too many point , some they have a sprig ,some have a M shap points etc.....................

chooks man

Shanks: average size, with some feathers; white or lightly pink coloured for all the varieties except for the BLACK, BROWN-RED and BIRCHEN Marans where grey or dark

grey is permitted for both sexes. Four long and well separated toes with the outer one sparsely feathered. The claws are white or horn- coloured

IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG

clean shanks are a fault if you breeding to any SOP except the English SOP
over feathered shanks or Vulture hocks type are a faults .

I don t have vulture hocks feathering type in my Album I will try to import some photos from the International black copper marans thread
@Punkybrewster can help with some photos of her albums
chooks man

THE POSTURE AND SIZE OF THE SHANKS

It is rather important to maintain the stocks of Marans with an average height rather than a tall type, which is due in particular to the presence of shanks that are too long.
Shanks that are too long can cause other serious defects that maybe linked to them, i.e.
Bow legs
Knock knees
Legs too close together

The length of the shanks required in the Standard is below the average of most breeds making it possible to reinforce the impression of strength and rusticity in the silhouette of the ideal Marans.
In addition, this desired conformation of the shanks goes hand in hand with the position of the legs, which should be quite widely set and well placed below a deep and broad body.

photos of marans with a good legs
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG

cock on the fromt with green leg band has a correct leg size , cock on the far back has a taller legs wrong size
CWKA0133.JPG

this cock is very tall with squirrel tail .
IMG_0478 (1).JPG

chooks man

The plumage, which is never to be loose or fluffy, is rather tight in the Marans, making it impossible to give an impression of undesirable heaviness, when selecting for the ideal type. On the whole, these characteristics simply give the appearance of a rustic, [if !mso]>
solid farm hen
photos of good plumage .
DSC04154.JPG

hen with fluffy or loose plumage .Fault
DSC04068.JPG

rooster with good quality plumage
DSC04123.JPG

cock with loose plumage or fluff around his thigh
GBES8525.JPG

chooks man

Shanks: average size, with some feathers; white or lightly pink coloured for all the varieties except for the BLACK, BROWN-RED and BIRCHEN Marans where grey or dark

grey is permitted for both sexes. Four long and well separated toes with the outer one sparsely feathered. The claws are white or horn- coloured

View attachment 3549254View attachment 3549256

clean shanks are a fault if you breeding to any SOP except the English SOP
over feathered shanks or Vulture hocks type are a faults .

I don t have vulture hocks feathering type in my Album I will try to import some photos from the International black copper marans thread
@Punkybrewster can help with some photos of her albums
chooks man
I'm not sure if I still have the photo. I will check.

Back
Top Bottom