Buff laced polish with a BLACK feather?

Bawkinghen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
I just got 4 buff laced polish chicks at 2 weeks old last week. Two are frizzles...super cute. I noticed this one had a tiny light gray spot in its fluff on the back of its head. Now its crest feathers are coming in and it looks like it is going to have a BLACK feather on the back of its head. I don't know much about chicken genetics and breeding, but is this normal and will it always have a black feather there?

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
The black feather will probably fall out when the chick gets older, and may be replaced with the correct-colored feather. Young chickens often grow in some strange, off-colored feathers before getting their real adult plumage.

Bawkinghen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Oh, good to know! Thanks! Now to wait for all its frizzle feathers to come in and keep my fingers crossed that it is a she... :) At least I hope that one of the frizzles will be female. This one is very feisty though. Out of the 14 chicks I got, this one runs around showing its breast and wings spread to all the other chicks all the time. It's a fight-picker, which makes me wonder if it's not a cockerel. Or maybe it's just a pullet with a "weird hair" ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom