Buff Man

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
We got six buff Orpington chicks for my wife, for Mother's Day 2015. A cat got one when it was five weeks old. I applied an effective cat discouragement protocol (Gamon Talon 1250 .177 pellet rifle with a Walther barrel and a 3X9 scope). The cat was none the worse for wear, but he definitely steered clear of our yard and ME, thereafter.

A short time later, we found out one of our buffys was a rooster and gave him to a rancher that lost his coop to coyotes and was in rebuild mode. Two months later, our daughter, son-in-law and their family moved to Mesquite, Nevada and couldn't keep their chickens. So, we inherited seven, year and a half old Americana hens. That gave us 11 chickens, two coops, two feeders and two waterers in the "Chicken Kingdom."

Later that year, my wife's client told us about a pair of chickens running loose in her neighborhood, laying eggs everywhere. By the time we got to the neighborhood, there was only one chicken left, a silver phoenix. A little pile of meal worms and a cardboard box later, and we rounded out to an even, dozen chickens.

So, we've had chickens for a little over two years and they're fat and sassy! Our son-in-law put us onto Backyard Chickens when we first got our buffys. How did anyone successfully raise chickens without it?!

Yes, it was pure luck. The sad thing is that she was the last one in the coop and the smallest bird. So, she's the lowest in the pecking order and she catches it from all the other hens. To her credit, she grew up wild in a tough neighborhood. There are times when she gets her kicks in, even on the big fatty (buff Orpington) that rules the roost.

It is impossible (IMO) to raise healthy backyard chickens with out this site!

Welcome to BYC!
This video may help you learn how to navigate this site better

Back
Top Bottom