Buff Orphingtons?

Katie_P

Hatching
9 Years
May 22, 2010
what can you tell me about keep about 8 buffs in a nice coop and yard in my backyard? how much space should i provide? are they quiet? good layers? andything that applies please

Hello. I have 9 Buff Orphingtons in my flock of 24. They are a friendly, happy breed. Somewhat quiet, except for the rooster and if one lays an egg. Then you will get the egg song. Our roosters will crow morning, noon and night. You can pick them up and they will sit in your lap. They love attention and snacks.

For 8 chickens your coop will need to have at least 4 square foot of "floor space" per bird. So a 4ft by 8ft will just about do. As for the run, you will need to have 10 square foot per bird. So an 8ft by 10ft run area will be good. Of course these are the standard sizes. If you go bigger, all the better for your birds. They love to have enough space to run and spread their wings.
D.gif

And you should read up on all the different coop designs in this forum to get ideas and to learn as much as you can. It's full of very usefull information. I learned a lot from here.

Here's a couple of pics of my Buff Orphingtons.
1 week old
DSC011892.jpg
DSC010552.jpg

1 month old
DSC012622.jpg

6 weeks old
DSC013032.jpg

female hens 15 weeks old
DSC015172.jpg

male rooster 15 weeks old
DSC014952.jpg

Buffy, our 9 month old hen.