1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Matt M, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Matt M

Matt M Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    How much is to much.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

I think any is too much. It is sodium bi carbonate and is used to reduce acid (for 1 thing). I think it will cause an electrolyte imbalance. The chicks will scratch away the shavings in a heart beat. You could use a kitty litter scooper (not the litter) and take out the clumps you can see and add fresh shavings as needed. That is if changing the bedding altogether is out of the question. Chicken poop stinks. And it gets worse each day they age. Gets bigger anyways, requiring more frequent cleaning. They will only be inside for a short while. Chickens have sensitive respiratory systems. So if you can smell it, it's worse for them. Why can't chickens just clean up their own mess?! Dogs too (just kidding) .... I love 'em all. Poo is the worst part of it. Just an opinion, I don't know the actual scientific facts. But I would definitely find more facts, just in case. Yep, I hate poo. [​IMG]

4. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Okay thanks another question is can i put DE in there beading and food at 3 weeks. Thanks

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If they're with their mommy, she'll cut up the meat to feed to her little ones. Otherwise you may have to preform this task.

6. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    K. Thanks

7. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Can I give my 3 week old DE or put it on the floor. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure about DE. I have read it isn't good for the birds. But I know of people who swear by it. Standard dirt bath has always worked for my chickens. Also if you are doing DE ( I presume for parasite control) make sure it is food grade. As per table scraps.... it's fun to give the chicks treats, but.... the starter feed is scientifically formulated with all the nutrients and minerals the chicks need including the grit. They may not get that from table scraps. I would suggest not more than 10% of their daily diet so as to not inhibit healthy growth.

Quick side note regarding poo. I started doing fermented feed with my now 10 week olds, cant believe how easy it is. I don't think it has changed the smell much, but the consistency is much more solid, with only the occasional runny one. I guess the occasional one is like every 10th or 20th time. I think the food is much more digested. My other babies just turned 2 weeks today. It took them a couple days seeing something different before they got the courage to approach it. Once it was discovered though, it was a feast.

Matt, it's great that you are looking for all the things you can do to take care of your chicks. My 10 wk old barred rocks still have fuzzy booties. It's taking them forever to feather completely.

As always, I suggest getting a second opinion since I am not an expert. I try to make sure so I don't spread misinformation, but sometimes I don't get it right (notice I didn't say I was wrong!). [​IMG]

Make it a great day!

9. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    Thanks.

10. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    What do you people think adout coop N Compost with week old chiks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by