Buff Orpington Color.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by debilorrah, Sep 16, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is it normal for BO to start gettng balck tail feathers???

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

all black feathers or a little bit of black speckles on the end?

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It is common for BO's to have some dark mottling on their tail feathers. Kind of what mildew looks like on a wall.

I was surprised when my girls started getting that as their tail feathers grew out, but Jody (Hinkjc) here on BYC assured me that was common and nothing to get upset about.

4. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have a buff orpington who's tail feathers look they were diped in black ink, just the very tips are black, but no mottled look. The man I bought her from was breeding blue lace orpingtons as an experiment. Some of the eggs produced beautiful blue laced chicks, the others buff. It seems a few of the buff as they grew got the black ended tail feathers.

I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed at first, but then I guess there is always the chance that if I breed her I might get a blue laced chick, so what the heck, plus she is the sweetest natured bird, even though she is so much bigger than the others she is never mean and is best friends with a tiny bantam wyandotte!

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

That is exactly how all of mine look too! ALL of mine have it on the tips of their tail feathers! The whole feather shouldn't be black though..

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It's just the tips, so I guess it's normal. The just popped out like that a few days ago. So pretty!

7. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Its common for production lines to get black on there tail feathers. Mine did when I had them. Even my Exhibition girl has some light freckling on hers.
    [​IMG]

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Ooh! What a pretty hen!

9. jmdarrow

jmdarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    west monroe, ny
    Mine are just 16 weeks and I just discovered the black mildewy looking tail feathers. Made me nervous all afternoon...couldn't catch them to take a closer look. Thanks for the info. Eases my mind.

10. 21lnenne

21lnenne Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    Can they get black on their neck like this P.S I got them at rual king[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by