Buff Orpington roo?

prairiepearls

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
I am back to chickens after a 5-year hiatus, now in Santa Fe, New Mexico and delighted to come back to BYC!!
Bought four "pullets" at TSC in March, now about 3 1/2 months old. Yesterday this Buff Orpington made a strange crying sound a couple of times -- "she" is also larger, with larger, redder comb than the others (see group photo). In the past when I've been stuck with roos, they started trying to crow much earlier than this. IS THERE A CHANCE THIS IS A HEN??
The chicks were sold to me (LtoR in the second photo) as a golden sex-link, a Maran sex-link, a Blue Plymouth pullet, and the one in question, a Buff Orpington pullet.

Agnes 062522.jpg
Agnes & co 062522.jpg

Hi, glad you are back! I see saddle feathers, and think he’s a boy.
You were here at the early days of BYC long before me! Hope to see you around, good luck with your flock!

Thank you, everyone!! Any chance that Buff Orp roosters are relatively quiet? :D Santa Fe technically allows roosters, but there's an ordinance about noise from animals that, it seems to me, would trip me up if I tried to keep most roosters.

Thank you, everyone!! Any chance that Buff Orp roosters are relatively quiet? :D Santa Fe technically allows roosters, but there's an ordinance about noise from animals that, it seems to me, would trip me up if I tried to keep most roosters.
One reason I chose Buff's is because of their quiet nature. You shouldn't have any problems. If you do for some reason you could try a Rooster collar. They have some videos on YT about them. I have a possible roo buff now that hasn't crowed once even though the black australorp's that are the same age have been crowing for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom