Buff Orpington roosters?????

Poor lady's gonna be featherless!
lau.gif

Hello, Outthere in Alabama, I thought I only had 2 rooster's, now I know I have 4 rooster's, I knew my Buff Orpington was suppose to be a rooster, but he would never crow, Every morning when I let them out, to go into the run, and to put there feed and water out, I will walk around inside the run crowing like they do, as I do my work, and they would crow back at me, but not that one, UNTIL today, I walked out of the run, headed back to the house, and I heard it, it was'nt like the others, I'am getting to where I can tell the difference between them. So I turned around and went back and looked right at him, and as pretty as you please he looked up and crowed at me. And all of mine are now almost 15 weeks old.

Quote:
Didn't know that. You may have just saved a chicks life. I have two chicks in the brooder that have little bumps on the side of their legs. I told my wife she was going to have to pick one for supper when they got older
big_smile.png
. Now I'll have to wait till the plop an egg... or not
wink.png

They all have little bumps, boys and girls. They turn into spurs on the boys. (and sometimes girls)

if they have not crowed by now then they probably are hens. our rooster started to try and crow at a month by 3months they were crowing so they could be heard for 5blocks away. Our buff is 6 months and has that same head. She is a beautiful bird.

Not necessarily. I have a young BO who started crowing as late as 9 months old. Since it is winter, their hormones have not kicked in like that would if the weather was warmer. I'm pretty sure both are cockerels.

They look like hens to me, i have a B.O. rooster named Niles and he looked like a giant hen when I got him. He was full grown, but i have 5 hatched babies today that prove he is definitely a rooster. and he crows but not a lot. Try turning a light on at night and if he's a rooster, he'll crow.

As was said, check them for spur buds. I had the same thing happen, as I grow out chicks to sell as pullets and all were supposed to be females.

Of course I 'picked' the two that were the best looking young BO 'pullets' and now, several months later after I've integrated them into the main flock,

I notice that one of them has larger comb and wattles than the other and then - on closer inspection - CLEARLY has tiny 'spur buds' on his legs.

Oh well, always kind of wanted to try out a BO Roo 'sometime' I guess now is the time.

Back
Top Bottom