*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I lost one of my Buff's the other day. I came home from work and was going to do some yard work so I let them out into the yard, everyone seemed fine and happy to be out. Only a few minutes later I noticed one of them under a bush just standing there. Only a few minutes later she was down. Seemed like she was panting, but it was not hot at all. I tried to get her to drink but she wanted no part of it. She could not stand up at all. I opened her mouth and couldn't see anything, she had no external wounds. She was gone in about 10 minutes. I am at such a loss as to what happened. They are only a little over a year old. I don't think she was egg bound, I had just gotten 5 eggs the day before (which means they all laid since I only have 5 hens). Nothing in yard has changed, as far as plants, never used chemicals, etc.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I just feel so bad.

RIP Red.......
hit.gif

I lost a few orps that way. I have hatchery orpingtons and I think they have defects that catch up with them as they age. They started dying around the age of one or two. I think it was heart problems. or perhaps strokes.The ones that I still have five years later are fit and healthy.

I know I had one die from heat, but the others had no reason to just up and die. I did not do a necropsy because I do not know what I would have been looking for.

It was by no means any majority of the batch, just a few, and I started with 25. Odds are it will not happen to you again.

It is not anything you did or could have prevented.

I am sorry. They make such sweet little friends.

Well my 2 BO's are still growing and growing! They are still a little leery of me, but today I found the way to their hearts-it's thru their stomachs! Yogurt makes a nice bribe!

I lost one of my Buff's the other day. I came home from work and was going to do some yard work so I let them out into the yard, everyone seemed fine and happy to be out. Only a few minutes later I noticed one of them under a bush just standing there. Only a few minutes later she was down. Seemed like she was panting, but it was not hot at all. I tried to get her to drink but she wanted no part of it. She could not stand up at all. I opened her mouth and couldn't see anything, she had no external wounds. She was gone in about 10 minutes. I am at such a loss as to what happened. They are only a little over a year old. I don't think she was egg bound, I had just gotten 5 eggs the day before (which means they all laid since I only have 5 hens). Nothing in yard has changed, as far as plants, never used chemicals, etc.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I just feel so bad.

RIP Red.......
hit.gif
I also had orps from hatcheries die last yr. No known cause and I am npip and A1 certified. This yr. I have ordered from Piglet. He has non hatchery orps. I am expecting them today or tomorrow. I can barely wait. He still has more if someone wants to order from him they are 8 wks old. He is NPIP too. Good luck all

Well my 2 BO's are still growing and growing! They are still a little leery of me, but today I found the way to their hearts-it's thru their stomachs! Yogurt makes a nice bribe!

Oh yea!! Yogurt!!! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the suggestions. Yogurt is great since it has acidophilus and easy on digestion! I am going to give that a try today.

I lost a few orps that way. I have hatchery orpingtons and I think they have defects that catch up with them as they age. They started dying around the age of one or two. I think it was heart problems. or perhaps strokes.The ones that I still have five years later are fit and healthy.

I know I had one die from heat, but the others had no reason to just up and die. I did not do a necropsy because I do not know what I would have been looking for.

It was by no means any majority of the batch, just a few, and I started with 25. Odds are it will not happen to you again.

It is not anything you did or could have prevented.

I am sorry. They make such sweet little friends.
I didn't do necropsy either for the same reason. The only "sign" I saw was after she started to go downhill, and that was her comb turning blue. I knew as soon as I saw that that it wasn't going to be good. I only have 4 now and they are all hatchery stock so I really hope I don't lose anymore. Thanks for the kind words, it does make me feel better :eek:)

Oh Yes!!!! They love food, lol. They'll be your best friends if you've got treats for them. Mine love everything under the sun, but watch out if I shake the bag of meal worms! I think they'd trample me if they could. I use the meal worms for the bribe to put them back into their run, they just can't say no to them
big_smile.png

I also had orps from hatcheries die last yr. No known cause and I am npip and A1 certified. This yr. I have ordered from Piglet. He has non hatchery orps. I am expecting them today or tomorrow. I can barely wait. He still has more if someone wants to order from him they are 8 wks old. He is NPIP too. Good luck all
Were yours young also? I sure hope I don't lose anymore, fingers crossed. I think when I am ready to get more again I will try to go the non-hatchery route also. Good luck with your new babies. Make sure to post some pictures!

Mine were from Mt. Healthy. Mine before had all been good but not last yr. I got them from a local farm store dealer and he got them in the day I was there. I got them from his box as he opened it, no chance of getting a disease there.
I can barely wait for these to come. As the saying goes they are in the mail. Heaven help them.!! I can not post pictures here. I have tried multiple times. Once they changed the format it just would not work with my vista sigh! Someday maybe I can afford to up date my computer but not now.
I have several other line bred orps. I love them too. I have a Blue and I have a solid white. From now on it will be buffs and Delaweres. I have Katys line. Since I found out they were rare I intend to try to get the poultry group here to let me give them some too. Just to increase their num. The more the better.

Back
Top Bottom