*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I just came back in the house after sitting with the chickens for about an hour. Our BO was being so friendly, singing and squatting. Could her attitude the last few days be because she is getting ready to lay?

A quick pic of my week-and-a-half old Buff Orpington, Sunny... She is the most relaxed and mellow of my 3 li'l chicks. (barred rock and easter egger are the other 2)

We're in central Virginia. Yes! the 3 layers do squat now. I just thought that they were getting used to us, ha. When they squat we'll either just massage their backs a bit or pick them up to pet. That's good to know about their squating leading up to laying, will keep an eye on the 2 Buffs for any future squats, so far they avoid our reaching out for them.
Thanks again for the hen insights!

Just saw all of the girls gathered around the nesting box. Went to check on them and our BO Blondie just layed her first egg

We're in central Virginia. Yes! the 3 layers do squat now. I just thought that they were getting used to us, ha. When they squat we'll either just massage their backs a bit or pick them up to pet. That's good to know about their squating leading up to laying, will keep an eye on the 2 Buffs for any future squats, so far they avoid our reaching out for them.
Thanks again for the hen insights!
Nice to meet you!. I'm in South West VA!

A quick pic of my week-and-a-half old Buff Orpington, Sunny... She is the most relaxed and mellow of my 3 li'l chicks. (barred rock and easter egger are the other 2)

Awww. My last hatchery Buff Orpington hen was also named Sunny. She passed away awhile back at the age of 6 1/2, the oldest of the original ten hatchery hens.

This is our first time raising chickens and the Buffs are so friendly! My only complaint is that we ended up with 6 out if 7 roosters. We may have a seventh rooster cause the verdict is still out. I am really hoping the one in question us a hen! :cd

Ok, don't smack me if this is a dumb question
hide.gif

My BO was panting the other day (yup, it was hot) and I noticed she had two little....weird looking bumps at the corner of both sides of her mouth, on the inside. Part of their mouths? I'd never noticed them before....

Or are they something I need t watch. They we're symmetrical, which made me assume they were supposed to be there.

Ok, don't smack me if this is a dumb question
hide.gif

My BO was panting the other day (yup, it was hot) and I noticed she had two little....weird looking bumps at the corner of both sides of her mouth, on the inside. Part of their mouths? I'd never noticed them before....

Or are they something I need t watch. They we're symmetrical, which made me assume they were supposed to be there.
Could you get a picture of them?

I am a noob at this, but with most of the medical problems, if the odd things are symetric (same bump on both sides) it is probably nothing to worry about. Bad things tend to be asymetric (different from side to side).

Back
Top Bottom