*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics

My babies were watching my every move while I worked on the other coop today. It was funny!

How sweet! They sure are curious little things aren't they?

Maybe you guys can help me out with this... I got six BO chicks three and a half weeks ago and five look like the second picture and one looks like the first picture. They are the same age. Any ideas on why the feathering is so different. They were straight run.

some BOs look differant like i got 3 chicks from dells and one was more of a copper color then the others she turned out to be butiful almost show quality the only thing wrong with her is that her comb is too big and curls to the side

some BOs look differant like i got 3 chicks from dells and one was more of a copper color then the others she turned out to be butiful almost show quality the only thing wrong with her is that her comb is too big and curls to the side
[/quote
I have noticed that at least two of them are moee of a copper color where the other four seem more the buff color.

yes a friend of mine had a copper colored one and it stayed the same color she also had a buff one but its color faded away after a year or so
The good Buff SOP Orps will hold their color all their lives. They may get a bit paler just before a molt , when all the feathers are falling, but they will grow in GOLD. Hatchery Orps are never really gold ,and tend to end up blotchy in color.

Last edited:
Found a local breeder that has a few BO chicks available 1st weekend May. They will be 8wk old. What do I need to look for???

Found a local breeder that has a few BO chicks available 1st weekend May. They will be 8wk old. What do I need to look for???
Have you got an American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection ? This is the Bible if you are going to breed Buff Orpingtons, and many other breeds. You can order it online from the APA.

If these are hatchery second generation chicks from this "breeder", they will not fit the standard. Buy from a breeder who breeds to the APA Standard of Perfection. There is a reason for it. The birds are bigger, prettier, will live longer, and produce more eggs and chicks.

See the birds on my page for SOP Buff Orps. A few English Orps there too.

Have you got an American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection ? This is the Bible if you are going to breed Buff Orpingtons, and many other breeds. You can order it online from the APA.

If these are hatchery second generation chicks from this "breeder", they will not fit the standard. Buy from a breeder who breeds to the APA Standard of Perfection. There is a reason for it. The birds are bigger, prettier, will live longer, and produce more eggs and chicks.

See the birds on my page for SOP Buff Orps. A few English Orps there too.
x2

Back
Top Bottom