*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
I had crossed one of my White orp cockerels from last season with a Buff pullet and have made Lemon Cuckoos. Only wanted to make some pullets from that cross to take back to White. But, I know many would love to have some of these little fellas to play with.

I thought that the pullets feather faster too.  The males get the little comb and wattle faster.  They are my last the get a tail feather.

That's what I thought.
That is true with most breeds. Orpingtons though can fool you. Sometimes the males do get tails sooner, etc. And leg size isn't a good indication either because both sexes have thick legs. Sometimes you have to wait. But we also go by the stance and overall attitude. Standing more upright and "proud" is a good indication it's a boy. The most curious and fearless. Also those boys look to have a pretty good comb on them compared to the last one.

I'm very new to sexing & BOs for that matter. I have a flock of 7 & it's been a learning experience! I have 3 roos & each developed differently. 2 feathered out as quick as pullets & only 1 was slow. Only 1roo was slow on tail feathers also. The wattles, stance, attitude, & vocaliztion were biggest indicators for me. Their combs are a bit bigger, but subtly redder at this point (5-6 wks) where their wattles came in quicker & darker. Their vocalizations are shriller & louder I think. They do stand tall & proud & are sweet, but territorial as well as protective of the pullets. I hope this helps some. I am looking to rehome 2 of the roos due to small flock size. This breed has my heart for sure. They even hop up on my shoulder & nuzzle into my neck. Sometimes If they're super happy they'll kinda coo/sing. Hard to explain lol I've gotten good at distinguishing vocalization.

Last edited:
That is true with most breeds. Orpingtons though can fool you. Sometimes the males do get tails sooner, etc. And leg size isn't a good indication either because both sexes have thick legs. Sometimes you have to wait. But we also go by the stance and overall attitude. Standing more upright and "proud" is a good indication it's a boy. The most curious and fearless. Also those boys look to have a pretty good comb on them compared to the last one.

I'm very new to sexing & BOs for that matter. I have a flock of 7 & it's been a learning experience! I have 3 roos & each developed differently. 2 feathered out as quick as pullets & only 1 was slow. Only 1roo was slow on tail feathers also. The wattles, stance, attitude, & vocaliztion were biggest indicators for me. Their combs are a bit bigger, but subtly redder at this point (5-6 wks) where their wattles came in quicker & darker. Their vocalizations are shriller & louder I think. They do stand tall & proud & are sweet, but territorial as well as protective of the pullets. I hope this helps some. I am looking to rehome 2 of the roos due to small flock size. This breed has my heart for sure. They even hop up on my shoulder & nuzzle into my neck. Sometimes If they're super happy they'll kinda coo/sing. Hard to explain lol I've gotten good at distinguishing vocalization.

Thanks guys for trying to help me out. These are my first orps. None of them have really displayed roostery behavior ye although the one withthe leasr feathers is the friendliest. He/she is the first to greet me every morning and comes running when my voice is heard. They are only 3-4 weeks old so I guess I will just have to wait and see!

My babies were watching my every move while I worked on the other coop today. It was funny!

Back
Top Bottom