*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
My buff orpingtons chicks are going to arrive on April 5 or 6
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yesss.gif
ya.gif
i ordered a rooster and 5 pullets from Randall burkey company

I'm glad I wandered over here to the orpington thread!

I have one small probably hatchery buff that is ornery but pretty out in the coop with my laying girls, and seven approx 4wk old chicks in the brooder that I hatched myself from eggs I bought from a well respected local breeder. If the experts here can tell at that age whether they are boys or girls I'll take some photos!

I have one small probably hatchery buff that is ornery but pretty out in the coop with my laying girls, and seven approx 4wk old chicks in the brooder that I hatched myself from eggs I bought from a well respected local breeder. If the experts here can tell at that age whether they are boys or girls I'll take some photos!

That sounds easier then it really is. Different lines grow at different rates. Doug once told me about giving some of his 4-H kids some Buffs. Two boys received 2 Buff chicks at the same date of hatch. One kid only fed his bird scratch. The other pampered his with fresh veggies high protein starter. The next time Doug seen the two, the one kid who was feeding his scratch was almost unrecognizable when compared to the other. So, feed can contribute to making it very hard to accurately determine the age as well. You can post them, and best we can do is give an opinion.

Last edited:

I have one small probably hatchery buff that is ornery but pretty out in the coop with my laying girls,  and seven approx 4wk old chicks in the brooder that I hatched myself from eggs I bought from a well respected local breeder. If the experts here can tell at that age whether they are boys or girls I'll take some photos! 
Post them! We love baby pictures and love to give opinions as well hehe. More than one of the other followers of this thread are pretty good at spotting sex at an early age, but some Orps can fool you.

My buff orpingtons chicks are going to arrive on April 5 or 6
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yesss.gif
ya.gif
i ordered a rooster and 5 pullets from Randall burkey company

Randall Burkey drop ships from Ideal Poultry Farm. They will be very lovey birds and great producers/ however, they will not get as large as the ones you see some of us post photos of. You wills till enjoy them in the backyard!

To my fellow buff lovers what age did yours start laying? My girls combs are starting to redden and they are so pretty! I was told they would start laying april/may I have had them for twoonths now and they are by far my fav! They are too funny and the curiosity is unbelievable!! They would ride to town with me if id let em!

Last edited:
To my fellow buff lovers what age did yours start laying? My girls combs are starting to redden and they are so pretty! I was told they would start laying april/may I have had them for twoonths now and they are by far my fav! They are too funny and the curiosity is unbelievable!! They would ride to town with me if id let em!
My SOP and English Imported Buffs start laying at 5 months if they are fed a really good diet, and ranged on good grass every day.

I am still looking for a breeder of BO in Arizona, that has stock at least close to the SOP. So far no luck at all and the one poultry show I was able to attend there were NO buffs shown at all. ;-(

Back
Top Bottom