*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I lost one of my chicks overnight. She looked a tad smaller than the rest when they arrived, but was doing well at first. I observed that she slept a lot, and did not eat or drink much. I introduced her to the water and feed like the rest, and put her next to them. She was not picked on by the others. She did not exhibit any symptoms of being sick or having any other problems. Any ideas? Unfortunately, loss is part of having animals/livestock/pets.

I lost one of my chicks overnight. She looked a tad smaller than the rest when they arrived, but was doing well at first. I observed that she slept a lot, and did not eat or drink much. I introduced her to the water and feed like the rest, and put her next to them. She was not picked on by the others. She did not exhibit any symptoms of being sick or having any other problems. Any ideas? Unfortunately, loss is part of having animals/livestock/pets.

If she was only a few days old, that is called "failure to thrive". Some just don't make it. And shipping stress will often kill a weaker chick. Failure to thrive can happen with chicks hatched at home, too, just something wrong inside.

That's what I figured, since I did not see any other signs that something was wrong. Still, I don't want to miss anything.

And that's what a good chicken keeper does, looks at all the angles. The reason she was probably doing well at first was she was living off her yolk sac. When that began to run out, her little body began to fail. The yolk is nature's perfect starter food, assimilated better than any commercial chick starter there is. Could be she wasn't eating as much as you even think she was. They do a great imitation of eating, copying other chicks, but may actually not be consuming much feed. Your little one was just too precious for this world.

Observation is one of our most useful tools. I have a four year old hen who would have died her first week if I had not noticed that she was running over and around the feed and never eating it. She has vision problems and there was no contrast between the tan color of the starter and the aluminum feeder. When I mashed up boiled egg yolk and put it in a blue bowl and tapped with my finger, she could see it and ate and sang and began to thrive. Then, I moved all the starter to a red feeder and she was fine. BTW, that is the one we call the Tiny Terrorist. You should read some of the stories about our Tiny sometime. You'll get quite a chuckle from it. She's, well, unique.

Last edited:
I have 2 Buff roosters and 7 Buff hens. When I first got them it was my dads idea. I didn't want to get them, but now that I have some I love them, they are so sweet. They are pretty good egg layers too. I'll try to post some pics soon!!

And that's what a good chicken keeper does, looks at all the angles. The reason she was probably doing well at first was she was living off her yolk sac. When that began to run out, her little body began to fail. The yolk is nature's perfect starter food, assimilated better than any commercial chick starter there is. Could be she wasn't eating as much as you even think she was. They do a great imitation of eating, copying other chicks, but may actually not be consuming much feed. Your little one was just too precious for this world.

Observation is one of our most useful tools. I have a four year old hen who would have died her first week if I had not noticed that she was running over and around the feed and never eating it. She has vision problems and there was no contrast between the tan color of the starter and the aluminum feeder. When I mashed up boiled egg yolk and put it in a blue bowl and tapped with my finger, she could see it and ate and sang and began to thrive. Then, I moved all the starter to a red feeder and she was fine. BTW, that is the one we call the Tiny Terrorist. You should read some of the stories about our Tiny sometime. You'll get quite a chuckle from it. She's, well, unique.

Thanks! I've been watching them like a hawk. LOL

Since I'm asking questions, I have one that came missing feathers around its bottom. The others are not pecking at her, and I keep her bottom clean, as it has a tendency to get a little pasty and clogged. One other one seems to get slightly pasty back there. Soaking/cleaning, and have some apple cider vinegar in the water. The lady at the feed store gave me some probiotic powder when I picked up my chicks and said to put in the water. I haven't done that yet - I don't know if it is necessary right away or at all, or if it will be rendered ineffective by the apple cider vinegar. Any suggestions, or am I overly-concerned?

Thanks! I've been watching them like a hawk. LOL

Since I'm asking questions, I have one that came missing feathers around its bottom. The others are not pecking at her, and I keep her bottom clean, as it has a tendency to get a little pasty and clogged. One other one seems to get slightly pasty back there. Soaking/cleaning, and have some apple cider vinegar in the water. The lady at the feed store gave me some probiotic powder when I picked up my chicks and said to put in the water. I haven't done that yet - I don't know if it is necessary right away or at all, or if it will be rendered ineffective by the apple cider vinegar. Any suggestions, or am I overly-concerned?

You can do that, or just get some plain, no sugar, active culture yogurt and let them peck at a teaspoon of that. Most won't start eating it unless starter is sprinkled on it. Probiotic powder is fine, too, but you can't mix that with the vinegar in the water. Has to be one or the other. Pasty butt is often from shipping stress, but I've had it occasionally with chicks hatched here, even with broody mamas. I think their little systems sometimes just have to kickstart a bit.

Just be sure you don't put too much of the ACV in the water if you continue to use it-too much is worse than none at all. I've used the organic ACV with the "mother" (sediment in the bottom you have to shake up), a teaspoon or so in a quart waterer, but no more. It seems to help somewhat with pasty butt issues and has natural vitamins in it, but usually, after a week or so, the pasty butt will clear up.

At times, the pasty butt will continue if they're too hot as well.

Last edited:
Just throwing in an update!

Several of my Buff Orps have just started laying! 5 for sure have come from one of the BOs since Saturday, when she started to lay. Have gotten 8 eggs so far. We made omelets this morning :)

I am interested in possibly buying one of these birds. How many eggs to they lay weekly and what color? Also, are they friendly and personable. I am looking for a good family pet as well as egg layer. One that will be good for the kids to love on.

Back
Top Bottom