*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Will chickens go into a duck pond? I actually saw a video of a chicken swimming! I wouldn't try it, but I thought chickens would stay away from water. Just wondering because the ducks look so cute!

I had some Rhode Islands in 99' that would jump into a low profile Rubbermaid container (maybe 5 or 6 inches deep). I tried it with my newer flocks and they just drank out of it. My last batch of RIRs on those hot 90-100 degree days would appreciate being sprayed with the hose to cool off. I get concerned when I see them walking around wings out and mouth open. I've considered making a small PVC setup with a few mistered 3ft off the ground to help cool them off on really hot days, but I think my wife would recommend me to the looney bin for making such a contraption.

I have a preformed plastic pond, like you'd use for fish...it's about 2 feet deep...though it was never in the ground when I had it in my chicken yard...it was just propped up with supports.
One of my RIRs had obviously fallen in at one point one day, because she was soaked...since she had gotten out, and it was summer, I wasn't too concerned...with plans to move the ducks and there pond asap!
However, before my duck pen was completed, I was recently given a Bearded Buff Laced Polish pullet...she's much smaller than the others, not to mention half blind because of her poofy feathers atop her head, covering her eyes...super adorable!
I checked on her multiple times a day due to being bullied by the others, and the risk of her falling in the pond....sure enough, she fell in...she held her wings outward to keep afloat....I felt awful!
I took her in my house, towel dried her, blow dried her, cuddled with her...finally warming her back up, and getting her thoroughly dried ( it took a while) ...I kept her inside for a week...that's when my husband said she was to "go out, now!" Oh well, she was quite spoiled for a time, and one of our cats befriended her!
She now has her own special house and pen along with two more of her kind.
Moral of this story: some will fall in and won' t be able to get out :(

Buy some play sand and fill it til it's maybe 8 or 10 inches deep on top. Or pebble stone, something cheap to fill it up so it's not so deep. Not sure how you're pond is setup. Mines rather small but had a deep spot which was probably around the same depth. Id like to use it after Im done building my privacy fence so it gives the chickens, wild birds, my feral cat something to drink out of. My luck it'll be the next thing the raccoons start messing up.

Are buff roos supposed to be an even color, or are they allowed to be slightly darker in the hackles saddle and tail?

Last edited:

I wanted the 4 hens someone was selling, but had to take the 2 roos with them. After building a subdivision of my run for the orpingtons, I was curious about the roos.

Back
Top Bottom