*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Here is our sweet Lucy... she is now 11 weeks old and just the kindest and gentlest little lady. And she is so beautiful now with her rich buff feathers all filling in.

She is sooo sweet
love.gif

This is Buffy!! I'm a month into my first experience having chickens. I have three different chicks. Buffy is by far the friendliest and oddest. While the other two are busy foraging and generally doing manic chicken things, Buffy prefers to enjoy the world at a leisurely pace.....and if there is a warm lap to sit on, even better.

I'm wondering if it is possible that my 11 mo old BO could be broody? She is spending ALOT of time in one particular nest box. I was worried that she was egg bound, but after checking, I don't think so. Help! I'm really worried about my sweet girl.

This is Buffy!! I'm a month into my first experience having chickens. I have three different chicks. Buffy is by far the friendliest and oddest. While the other two are busy foraging and generally doing manic chicken things, Buffy prefers to enjoy the world at a leisurely pace.....and if there is a warm lap to sit on, even better.
Hi Buffy! She's cute girl. Yes, that's exactly how they are, enjoying the world at a leisurely pace
smile.png

I'm wondering if it is possible that my 11 mo old BO could be broody? She is spending ALOT of time in one particular nest box. I was worried that she was egg bound, but after checking, I don't think so. Help! I'm really worried about my sweet girl.
Yes, she could be broody. Does she scream at you and flatten out like a pancake when she's "nesting"?

Not a scream, more of a low cluck. She puffs up her feathers. I have found some of her down like feathers in the box with the eggs. All of the girls like the same box.

She may be what I call "playing broody". I have one that does this, sometimes she spends hours in the box, even after she has laid her egg. She clucks and fusses at anyone who comes near. I sometimes take a ceramic egg and offer it to her, she promptly tucks it underneath (I just love the way she does this). Finally she gets out of the nesting box and goes about her business until "next time".
smile.png
If they truly broody, they won't leave the nest except to eat, drink, poop then right back on the nest.

Can anyone help me with the sex of my buff orpingtons? They are 10 weeks old. The one with the redder comb and wattles is also the highest in the pecking order of my little flock of 2 orpingtons and 2 cochins. She/He is very dominant and orders all the others around. The cochins are both female I'm pretty sure, but this one Orpington, on the left in the photos, has got me puzzled...

Can anyone help me with the sex of my buff orpingtons? They are 10 weeks old. The one with the redder comb and wattles is also the highest in the pecking order of my little flock of 2 orpingtons and 2 cochins. She/He is very dominant and orders all the others around. The cochins are both female I'm pretty sure, but this one Orpington, on the left in the photos, has got me puzzled...
My girls are about the same age. One is exactly like the one on the left. I'm still hoping she's a pullet, but she was first with a comb, feathering, etc. Shes a lot bigger than the other three, highest in pecking order, and eats like a pig! I thought maybe she hatched earlier and so is further along.

She may be what I call "playing broody". I have one that does this, sometimes she spends hours in the box, even after she has laid her egg. She clucks and fusses at anyone who comes near. I sometimes take a ceramic egg and offer it to her, she promptly tucks it underneath (I just love the way she does this). Finally she gets out of the nesting box and goes about her business until "next time".
smile.png
If they truly broody, they won't leave the nest except to eat, drink, poop then right back on the nest.

Ok, she didn't leave the box all day. She did screech when I lifted her out and also periodically while ranging in the backyard with the others. I also collected 3 eggs today, for 3 girls, so she's not bound. Thank you for talking me down. Right now she has food and water in the yard with her pals, whether she likes it or not.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom