*Buff Orpington Thread!*

She's beautiful!

Beautiful Bella!
Love the expression on her sweet face Johnn, great picture!

You always take such amazing pics!
th.gif

She's so breathtaking!

OH, Bella. You get prettier and prettier all the time. I love her sweet face. I just want to snuggle her.

I love your Bella so much that I had to borrow her name. This is my Bella. She's a Cochin and she's still a baby in this photo. She's filled out quite a bit now that she's 7 months old. Still hasn't laid an egg yet but I still lover her. I call her Ciao Bella and she knows her name and will slowly come over to me for treats. She's on the shy side.
Thank you all! :)

Amazing picture and beautiful hen. The name Bella certainly suits her well.

My husband is a photographer and compliments you on the use of snow as a natural light reflector. What kind of camera are you using?

When they look for pictures this next fall for the 2018 BYC calendar, you seriously need to submit Bella.
Thank you! I use my phone camera! :)

This is my Alberta. She is 1 1/2 yrs old. Her feathers are looking pale and a little ragged. She has stopped laying altogether. She eats like a pig, so I am wondering if this is the precursor to a moult. she isn't losing feathers, but they do look kind of pitiful. Someone told me that her comb should be pale if she is about to moult, but it is nice and red. Her legs have turned a little pale. I am giving her Oyster shell free choice and she free ranges throughout the yard. she is on layer feed with added snax of meal worms and BOSS. How long does it take for the feathers to start coming out? She has been like this for a couple of weeks. Her eyes are bright and she looks otherwise normal. She loves sitting in my lap every morning and visiting.

This is my Alberta. She is 1 1/2 yrs old. Her feathers are looking pale and a little ragged. She has stopped laying altogether. She eats like a pig, so I am wondering if this is the precursor to a moult. she isn't losing feathers, but they do look kind of pitiful. Someone told me that her comb should be pale if she is about to moult, but it is nice and red. Her legs have turned a little pale. I am giving her Oyster shell free choice and she free ranges throughout the yard. she is on layer feed with added snax of meal worms and BOSS. How long does it take for the feathers to start coming out? She has been like this for a couple of weeks. Her eyes are bright and she looks otherwise normal. She loves sitting in my lap every morning and visiting.
Both of my buffs are the same. Have gone pale and eat like hell, mostly their organic layer pellets. I think as long as they're behaviour is normal it shouldn't be a problem but I'd also like to hear the opinion of someone who knows more.

What a sweet hen
smile.png

I don't know what season you are in since you are in London, but shorter day light here in the States can make production decrease. This time of the year is when a lot of birds molt as well. One of my BO girls is in mid-molt, her comb has finally gone a bit pale, but she still eats/drinks well. It seems it took quite a while for those feathers to start falling, now she looks so ragged and miserable (pincushion).

As long as your girl is acting normal, eating, drinking, active, pooping, then just keep an eye on her. If you notice any lethargy or going off feed let us know here or on the Emergency thread.

Good morning! I have a 4.5 month old BO, Stella. She's actually not feeling well and just started on corid in her water this morning. She's always been a bit small and I actually have another BO, willow, who's supposed to be a whole month younger than her but is about a third bigger. I do not think willow is a he. You think it's odd that she's not more developed (comb/waddles) at 4.5
Months? If my phone will cooperate, I'll post pics of both.

Good morning! I have a 4.5 month old BO, Stella. She's actually not feeling well and just started on corid in her water this morning. She's always been a bit small and I actually have another BO, willow, who's supposed to be a whole month younger than her but is about a third bigger. I do not think willow is a he. You think it's odd that she's not more developed (comb/waddles) at 4.5
Months? If my phone will cooperate, I'll post pics of both.

She's cute dude

I have a question. I have an almost 6 month old pullet from a Lavender Orpington cockerel over a Buff O hen. Here she is at about 12 weeks of age:

She was about 8 weeks old when these pictures were taken.

She is a very beautiful little girl. The black neck feathers have been replaced with vivid bright red fawn colored feathers. She is very friendly, and the key word is little. I have Buff O Welsummer cross pullets that will be close to POL next month and this little girl is half their size. I realize that Buff Os mature slower. My BO/Welsummer crosses have matured quicker than my Buff O girls have-about at the same rate as my Welsummer pullets but this little girl seems to be way behind the 8 ball when it comes to maturing. In fact, I have pure bred 11 week old pullets that are only marginally smaller than Baby is. The thing is she has all these fluffy partridge feathers that make her look bigger than she really is.

Any ideas as to why she is small for her age? Her father was a BIG boy. She is his only offspring. I found him dead when he was just about a year old from a suspected heart attack. All my Buff O girls are just your typical fluffy butts. Several are smaller than the others but they are just typical BOs.

She follows me around the run until I pick her up and carry her with me. She eats good. Doesn't seem to hang around with any of the other hens simply because she is small and tends to get picked on a lot. So yes, she gets a lot of attention from me.

You have to admit, she is a cutie.

Back
Top Bottom