*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I'm no expert, since I got my first 4 BOs/flock last spring. If you need eggs, maybe add a light. I chose not to add light and give my girls a break; go with Mother Nature. I still get at least 1 egg every other day. But I live alone and don't need a lot of eggs. My 3 girls never stopped laying completely. Now that the days are getting longer, their production may start to pick up more. I'm sure others may have better suggestions.

Are they all Buff Orpingtons?
Any photos?
And...what are you feeding them?
They are all buff orpingtons. I do not raise any other breed. I bought them from a local Feed & Seed who told me that they got them from Murrey McMurrey in bulk. I have them now feeding on a 22% Layer formula and I give them scratch grain almost once a day. (unless I have to work 14 hours) The scratch grain is a 7 grain, 10% cracked grain that I also buy by the bag at the same F & S.
I may have solved some of my own problem. Since I posted that post, I culled one of the rooster. (One of the roosters in the photos below) and I am now down to just one rooster. Since that time the flock dynamics have changed greatly. Whereas before neither of the roosters crowed, now Aragorn (the only rooster left) has started to do so. I also never saw either rooster mate before. Now Aragorn has mated at least two hens that I know of (because I witnessed this happen). Even the hens seem less skiddish and more open and more friendly, like the personalities that they had when they were younger.
Here are some photos from Saturday when there were still 2 roosters. I culled the other roo about an hour after these photos were taken.

She looks part Easter egger in my opinion, with maybe a smaller comb type. BOs are more yellow/golden on their whole body and your girl has a white tail :p

Last edited:
She's a beautiful hen. I must agree that she is a mixed breed. I like her feathers, very smooth and pretty. It's hard to tell, but does she have a pea or rose comb? This would be a reason that you may think it is small. Also a hen that is not currently laying - say she just molted, will have a reduction in size of comb as well.

As long as she is active, eating, drinking and pooping, then IMHO you have nothing to worry about.

Quote: Nice flock! Eliminating one rooster was most likely a good idea. Your girls look fairly young and should put on more weight as they age. Have they started laying yet?

Back
Top Bottom