*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I got a buff who's been on the receiving end of pecks (to the butt too) but she's lost a lot of feathers too.
I did see my black rock pecking her feathers around the neck (maybe lack of protein) and tried to remedy that. But from the pics is this a case melting or stress/bullying?

IMG_2275.JPG IMG_2276.JPG IMG_2277.JPG

I got a buff who's been on the receiving end of pecks (to the butt too) but she's lost a lot of feathers too.
I did see my black rock pecking her feathers around the neck (maybe lack of protein) and tried to remedy that. But from the pics is this a case melting or stress/bullying?

View attachment 1111477 View attachment 1111478 View attachment 1111479
Looks more like a buff Orpington mix with those feathered legs. It also looks like feather picking. What are you feeding them?

Layer pellets, cabbages, broccoli, wheat and sometimes a bit of rice or bread or melon skins if left over.
If your layer pellets are 16% protein as most are than I would switch to something with higher protein or cut out the extras that lower the overall daily protein. Layer and treats don't work together well. I recommend a ration with 18-22% protein. Also try adding some higher protein treats like cottage cheese, canned fish, or scrambled to help fix the deficiency. Chickens will cannibalize each other other if their protein needs aren't met.

If your layer pellets are 16% protein as most are than I would switch to something with higher protein or cut out the extras that lower the overall daily protein. Layer and treats don't work together well. I recommend a ration with 18-22% protein. Also try adding some higher protein treats like cottage cheese, canned fish, or scrambled to help fix the deficiency. Chickens will cannibalize each other other if their protein needs aren't met.

I give eggs about 1-2 times a week since I saw this but I'll have to visit the store to gets some rations then.
I have organic layer pellets I guess the protein level is average.

Thanks for the advice.

My girls molting but also brooding?? Do chickens brood at this time of the year? Was sat there puffed up on an egg. Not sure if it's hers but I pulled her out and she had wings spread and stationary broody like.

IMG_3291.JPG

They can go through a molt after being broody. If she is motling heavily now, then it would be best to break her broodiness. Check her over for any symptoms that would indicate that she is sick instead of broody. Can you have a fecal sample tested to make sure she doesn't have worms?

Back
Top Bottom