Buff Orpington

Thank you so much. Just real sorry I did not get what I ordered. Wanted Buff Orpingtons because they are so docile. Have to check out the New Hampshire Reds personality etc.

Given that NONE of the birds you purchased are what they advertised them as, I would speak with store management about your dissatisfaction with the whole situation. While they are likely done with chicks for the season, I would go in with a ready answer for when they ask, "How can we rectify this situation to your satisfaction?" (or some form of that - which is standard good c.s. with a complaint like this) -- that answer could be

a) give me a refund for the price of the birds I paid for (the BO) so I can place my own order with a hatchery of my choice (keep in mind, this refund will not cover such an order as your retail price did not include shipping, which those charges can add up quickly)

b) write me a voucher now so that next spring I can get the appropriate number of BOs in the spring when you stock chicks again (the Ameraucana/EE are a wash, imo - as you got what they were sold by the hatchery - a matter of deceptive labeling at the hatchery vs. receiving actual wrong product as with the BO/NHR)

they are not going to want the birds you have now back because there is nothing they can do with them - so you are fair to be keeping these birds and receiving satisfaction on the mix up

for me, B is the best option - you don't have to pay shipping, you can enjoy the birds you have now and in the spring you start three new chicks that can start laying about the time your original flock is hitting their fall molt and taking a break from laying.

On to the EE issue - chances are these birds will give you what you wanted - pretty eggs - so if you aren't worried about them being EE and not ameraucana, not an issue, imo. Lesson learned about the issue of EE/Ameraucana/Araucana and the common mislabeling of them. If you DO want true Ameraucana you can get blues from Meyer hatchery or find a reputable private breeder from whom you can get your stock. The catch is that true birds are going to cost you a fair bit more - so for the average person seeking pretty eggs, the mixed breed EE are a great deal.

I did complain to the store which is a very small feed store with one employee about the 2 roosters. He told me if I brought them in that he as a farmer would take them home and butcher them. So I decided to keep them and try to rehome them without success as 9 out of 10 want to butcher them. So when one of the roosters (the alpha) started being mean and biting the hens. I put up a divider wall in the coop with the 2 roosters on one side and the hens on the other. However, now one rooster is now picking on the other, chasing and biting him. These are my very first chickens and I read everything I can on the subject and chose the buff orpingtons for their docile disposition and now find out I have a different breed. I have become very attached to all of them but must face reality that one or both of the roosters have to go and this makes me very sad. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Cant help but feel really sorry for you on this situation.

it is likley the store would cull them, there is little else they can do. Did they not offer any further compensation? I would have thought a $50 store credit would have been the least they could offer?

No. Not a credit of any kind. Just listed free to good home on craigslist. No kill. But after they get the birds they can do whatever. Thanks. Have a good day.

See, to me that is where I'd take issue as a customer - I fully understand and accept the chance that I will get cockerels from the "pullet" bin, so I take no issue with them when that happens --- but, what I would take issue with is the fact that I was sold BO and got NHR. That isn't nearly the same thing as an "oops" cockerel.
No. Not a credit of any kind. Just listed free to good home on craigslist. No kill. But after they get the birds they can do whatever. Thanks. Have a good day.

If your birds are friendly and you love them, just be happy with them. I have a BO cockerel and a pullet that are just over 12 weeks old. I hatched them from eggs from a neighbors BO flock. I handled the birds daily, go spend time with them in the run every day, talk to them and give them treats. They are beautiful birds.

About 10 days ago they started changing. The hen has become very stand offish and the cockerel has become mean, he just barely tolerates me coming in the run and has bitten me twice, once drawing blood. And again, he is only 12 weeks old. I just don't know what to do with him. I guess what I am trying to say is that just because you get BO chickens, doesn't mean you are going to have nice birds.

So sorry about your BO becoming mean. My roosters never became mean to me but the alpha rooster was biting the hens and attacking the beta rooster. I am not aloud to have roosters where I am so they are now gone. I gave them to a person that responded to my ad on craigs list. Was a very sad day when I gave them away. Just had to be done.

Back
Top Bottom