Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds-What's the problem, can they live together?

Mar 23, 2023
Hello. I was thinking of getting some Rhode Islands Reds and some Buff Orpingtons. But everything seems to say that they don't go well together. I also heard that that depends on the individual bird and their personality. Has anyone ever had them together before and been fine?

Last edited:
I have one RIR, and did have two BOs, now down to one.
I have never had a problem with it, the BOs do tend to keep out of the way of the RIR, but as long as there is plenty of space they don't seem to mind.
My Cuckoo Orpington is the boss.

I have a majorly mixed flock, and have had Rhode Island reds and buff orpingtons together all along. Three of the four RIRs were roosters and all got culled due to extreme aggression towards people, but they aren’t all like that, one of the orpingtons is actually bossier than the rir hen is, so again it just depends on each bird. I’ve had success raising them together, and I also have several other breeds.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined.

I have not had RIR's so no direct experience with those. I have had Orpington, among others. If you read enough posts on here you will find that some people love their RIR's, some people hate them. Some people love their Buff Orpington, some people hate them. Some love their Silkies, some hate them. Some love Barred Rock, some people hate them. If a breed is mentioned much on here you'll find that some people love them, some hate them. You'll find that individuals matter a lot more than breed. My experiences with other breeds agrees with that.

What I think is more important than the breeds - is how much space you have for them to live in. Over crowding causes a lot of problems, and some birds are highly intolerant to it.

If you have enough space - you can set up clutter and hideouts in the run, and different roosts in the coop.

SPACE is what is really important.

Mrs K

My RIR crew is feisty but not overly so.

10 RIR hens, 3 Barred Rock hens, 3 sexlinks. With a RIR Rooster. Top of the pecking order is 2 barred rocks and a sexlink. Hope this helps with perspective.

Housed in 12x14 coop and 30x50 run when not free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom