Buff Orpingtons: Are my feed store birds good enough quality to sell

savingdogs

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Southwestern Washington State
I have 8 BO pullets and a BO roo, mainly for eggs and pets, but we were interested in raising chicks and hope for some broodiness so this can happen. We originally thought to raise a flock of chicks each spring and at the end of summer, sell off a few birds, either hens or pullets, to keep our numbers around the same. Are "feed store" quality birds not good enough? They sure seem like beautiful, friendly and healthy birds to me. They are practically all twins and are very large compared to my other pullets (RIR and Russian orloffs).
Don't have current pics but could post if this is necessary for the question to be answered.

I must admit our first plan was to eat the extras but now that I know the birds the thought of eating them just....isn't the same. Can't seem to work up an appetite for someone I knew.

Yeah, you can try to sell them, roos hens or both? Sell off pullets once the replacement hens are beginning to lay (there's usually a few weeks of overlap), you'll sell them as year-old established layers. When it comes to chicks, learn to vent sex (I can do it on quail with a magnifing stand) pull out whatever hens you need, and sell the remaining chicks.

Did your feed store purchase the chicks from a hatchery or from a local breeder/seller? Just because chickens come from feed stores doesn't make them worthless to reproduce and sell. I just wouldn't advertise that I had show quality chickens or anything like that. Not saying that feed store birds can't be show quality but alot/most aren't. Alot of people(not ALL) that buy chickens just for pets/eggs don't really care so much on SQ anyway. I don't see why they wouldn't be "good enough" to raise and sell babies.

Back
Top Bottom