Buff Orpingtons late to lay first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spiro, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Spiro

Spiro New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I have 11 hens that hatched middle of April. They are approaching 7 months old and no eggs yet. Has anyone had a similar experience with April hatched birds starting their laying later than "normal." From some of the older threads I have read, I was expecting to see the first eggs at around 6 months.

I wonder if the fall weather (e.g., reduced temperatures and photoperiod) is holding them back physiologically to start laying.
    Any thoughts would be welcome.
    Thank you in advance.

Spiro

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's definitely the photoperiod, not the temps. Once they start laying, first year orps will lay right through winter.
    If the nutrition is adequate and they don't have a disease, adding a few hours of light will kick start them.

3. cara4x4jeeper

cara4x4jeeper New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have BUFF Orpington's as well which were born the first of July. When should I expect eggs?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you add light in December, they'll probably lay in December. If not, they may start then or may wait till February.

1 person likes this.
  5. cara4x4jeeper

cara4x4jeeper New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Have a heat lamp in the coop, hopefully that helps.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not a heat lamp. They don't need heat and they need a dark period. A heat lamp is not light.
    If you put a light on a timer to come on about 4 AM that will do the trick.
    Light enough to read a newspaper by at roost height. A heat lamp is a waste of energy$$$

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  7. NewfieMom

NewfieMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    I have 2 buff orps and 3 barred rock that were all hatched around April 11th. I just got my first egg 3 days ago!! I was about to give up! LOL I don't know which one is laying, but I got a perfect little brown egg 3 days in a row out of the same nest box. I guess she took today off. :/ I was beginning to think I'd never get an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by