Buff Orpingtons late to lay first egg

Spiro

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 7, 2013
I have 11 hens that hatched middle of April. They are approaching 7 months old and no eggs yet. Has anyone had a similar experience with April hatched birds starting their laying later than "normal." From some of the older threads I have read, I was expecting to see the first eggs at around 6 months.

I wonder if the fall weather (e.g., reduced temperatures and photoperiod) is holding them back physiologically to start laying.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thank you in advance.

Spiro

It's definitely the photoperiod, not the temps. Once they start laying, first year orps will lay right through winter.
If the nutrition is adequate and they don't have a disease, adding a few hours of light will kick start them.

Not a heat lamp. They don't need heat and they need a dark period. A heat lamp is not light.
If you put a light on a timer to come on about 4 AM that will do the trick.
Light enough to read a newspaper by at roost height. A heat lamp is a waste of energy$$$

Last edited:
I have 2 buff orps and 3 barred rock that were all hatched around April 11th. I just got my first egg 3 days ago!! I was about to give up! LOL I don't know which one is laying, but I got a perfect little brown egg 3 days in a row out of the same nest box. I guess she took today off. :/ I was beginning to think I'd never get an egg.

Back
Top Bottom