Buff Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmilyP, Mar 25, 2018.

1. EmilyP

EmilyP Songster

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Got these two girls at TS yesterday the bin said buff orpingtons but their color is so different I was curious if one is something else. One looks white and one buff to me but I've never had BOs before either.

IMG_4915.JPG IMG_4912.JPG IMG_4913.JPG

Abriana and Hybridchucks like this.
  2. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    Hi :frow
    When I got my Buffs 2 years ago some of them did look a little different from each other. My hen Meg was the lightest of all the Buffs and she still is. They are wonderful chickens! Mine are very docile and come right up to me.
    Have fun with them! They're very cute :thumbsup

3. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    My BO Miss Buffy is a prissy girl that gets pms attitude. She is the trouble maker dominant one that has my Mr Spot wrapped around her talons.

4. MattCopeland

MattCopeland Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Tennessee
    The lighter one looks like it could be a leghorn. Tractor supply is horrible about mixing up their different breeds.

SavKel likes this.
  5. EmilyP

EmilyP Songster

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Thanks! I'm good with either so we shall wait and see!

6. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    The lighter one is not a buff imo, other one looks like my buffs at that age I've had 16 buff babies

Also color of legs will tell you, buffs legs are pretty light/white colored not yellow or orange that might tell you too :thumbsup

7. ScottKelly1974

ScottKelly1974 Songster

May 6, 2016
    Colorado
    I've been raising BOs for a couple of years. A BO hatches yellow and grows up yellow. It looks like you have a BO, RIR, and a Leghorn. I have BOxCinnamon sexlinks and they are yellow with white, similar to your picture.

nerfworthy likes this.
  8. FullHouseMama

FullHouseMama In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    The darker one looks like my RIR and the middle looks like the Buff Orpington I have. These are my first chicks so i can’t say for sure ;-)

9. EmilyP

EmilyP Songster

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Yes the darker is a RIR and the middle is a BO but what is the white one?

10. mountain chicken

mountain chicken Chirping

Apr 12, 2018
    EVERGREEN , COLORADO
    don;t worry I can;t figure out what I just got either they all have this pink stuff on them so its hard to tell what color they are think 4 are rhode island reds but not 100% sure Im no expert on telling any of these birds till they grow up:idunno

how can you tell if its a leg horn any distinct feature s think may be 2 of them in the bunch the legs are a different color

plus theres 8 extra's oh what to do with them ordered 8 got 16 , just don't want to give them away till I figure out what I got, may have some good ones in the bunch maybe some white egg layers .

dang battery's all dead figures Ill post picts in a little while after I get a battery charged:he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: