Buff Orps being bullied by Barred Rocks

AutMom3113

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 25, 2012
]I have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Barred Rocks. They are appx 2 weeks old. I got them on day 4 and they have been together the entire time. They are all supposed to be female, but we have serious suspicions regarding one of the BRs.

Sunday morning I found one of my BOs (Lucy Loo) favoring her right leg and seeming a bit weak overall. She had no visable injuries and did not mind me manipulating her legs and wings. I was able to get her to eat a bit of yogurt and drink some water from a dropper and I observed a normal poop, so I separated her from the others while I was at church and hoped for the best. By the time I got home she was up hopping around, happy as could be. She still seemed a bit weak but everything else was normal so I returned her to the brooder with the others assuming maybe she just got a little frisky and fell from the little roost I made them.

But, then today I had all 4 outside for a bit. They were all in the brooder, and I noticed that my OTHER Orp (Puff) was acting like the other did yesterday. I immediately pulled her out and checked her over. Again I found no obvious reason for this behavior.

I spent a long time watching them all together. I saw one Rock peck at a Orp. There was some stepping on and chasing going on but it was both breeds, not one sided attacks. Nothing horribly aggressive that I could tell. They all stick together for the most part moving around the brooder together. They are all eating and drinking. Poo seems normal. I clean the brooder daily and they get plenty of interaction from myself or my daughter.

My 2 theories are:
1. They are growing bored and are acting out.
2. They are too big for the brooder and taking it out on each other. (They are currently in a large Rubbermade container.)

Or my Rocks are just meanies!! Both my Rocks are visably larger than the Orps and heavier too.

Any ideas or advice?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Ugh. That is what I feared. I guess I am going to have to figure out better quarters for my brood!

Interestingly enough, I have both a BR rooster, Brigadier General, 5+years old and BO Rooster, Colonel Mustard, 2 years old, running my flock of 15 hens and they get along very well. Colonel Mustard is very docile.

They're not meanies, they're chickens. Rocks tend to be more dominant in a flock when they're grown, but I don't consider that aggressive, just confidant. And they're babies, too, so they're playing. Sounds like you just need more room for them to romp around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom