Buff Orps & egg production

Rte.66_chicks

Songster
Feb 22, 2008
Kingman, AZ
Since BOs are one of the most broody breeds, I am questioning my decision to get ten of them and five Lt. Brahmas, as I want a steady supply of eggs. After reading up on some of the other breeds, I'm thinking of modifying my order, if possible, to replace five BOs with five Silver-Laced Wyandottes. Please advise! I have never had any of these breeds, I've only had Barred Rocks and EEs.

Just because they go broody doesn't mean you have to let them sit. Being broody doesn't mean instant stoppage of egg production. BO's are one of my most favorite of all chickens.

A couple of my BOs went broody and I just lifted their fluffy bums up and got the eggs. I also would move them to the run everytime I caught them sitting on nothing. It was too early and cold for the chicks to make it, I thought. I'll let them go broody when it is warm out and I have a separate pen for them. I love BOs they are great and lay almost everyday, large brown eggs. Love them.

I have 7 BO and every so often I have one go broody, but Like mentioned above..I just reach under her and gather my eggs....Out of my 7 I get on average 5-6 eggs a day. We have one particular bird that likes to go broody..we call her the moody broody..lol ...she growls at us when she is broody, but it isn't an every week thing...maybe once a month she will decide to go broody.
I definatly wouldn't decide against them because of that....we get a dozen every 2 days..and man are they good!!!

Good Luck...
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks! I was afraid I would have a bunch of them go broody at once and really cut into the amount of eggs I will get. Another question then: I thought they stopped laying when they went broody, if they do so, how long does the broody stage last if you take the eggs?

I had a Buff Orp that stayed broody on air for 21 days...finally gave her some eggs to hatch out...was a total of 45 days broody...takes about a month before she will lay again...

I found my Light Brahmas lay better for me then the Buffs....especially in winter.....

Well if you don't want them to be broody, you have to take them off the nest. I go in and take her out and carry her across the yard to where ever the others are and plop her down....I do this whenever I notice that she is missing. if you let them sit on the nest they will stay there for a long long time...lol...They do stop laying when they are sitting. It takes a couple of weeks to get them back into the swing of things..
I only have 1 that goes broody out of the 7...Over all they are just the best! They are my little sweeties!!

When mine went broody, no, she didn't lay...and then about a week after the chicks hatched, they went into moult, so basically, my laying season ended early. UGH

Back
Top Bottom