"Buff" Silkies I was shipped.. :( UPDATE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
Well, I ordered some Buff Silkies from a well known breeder. On their webpage it lists, "Our birds are show quality, or from show quality parents". They are a well known, and several people have said they have great stock.

I received 7 chicks. Now, there is a whole list of problems with them. 2 have crooked beaks, some have single combs, and they look like they have been mixed with another color. I am so upset. I paid good money for these birds, only to end up with these. I was planning to breed them next spring, and now they are of no use to me. I am so upset over this. I sent them a long email explaning all the problems, and that I would send pictures if I would like. It is like she sent me all of her culls. If I was sending chicks to somebody, I would never send these. I would be embarrased to send these.

Let me know what you think, and what I should say to them. Several people have told me that I should request a full refund, and if they stand by their line, they will do just that.

Im not sure if I can mention the name of the breeder on here, so I did not. I dont want to get in trouble.

Here are 3 of the chicks.

DSC09323.jpg

DSC09324.jpg

DSC09325.jpg

DSC09326.jpg

DSC09328.jpg

DSC09329.jpg

Last edited:
I would be so angry!!! They really do look mixed colored and the beak on the one looks like it has a twisted face. I would be demanding my money back!! It would be one thing if they were eggs that were shipped, but to send you chicks like this is very unprofessional, and dishonest I think. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Huh. I doubt you should give a long complaint, treat this respectfully as you do not know if someone did this accidently. You can say that you was not impressed with the quality of the birds when writting about them.
I have had such good luck and its wonderful to let folks know that the breeding, raising, and disposition of the breeder and business. With my experienses, I have let folks know that these folks are good to deal with.
It would only be responsible to contact the breeder first, sending photos and lets hope that the order was mixed up, someone may have been sending them to uncle george that paid shipping only. (I hope that is the case!!!)
Good luck and just be sincere, curtious even tho you want to scream, call names and black ball them from breeding!
A nice note with photo's to explain your situation, to the point and sign it "respectfully, your name". Then the next letter or phone call can get dirty!

Good luck, keep us posted!!! (Im sure someone else will be more help too)

I agree with spook on most levels. I think you have a right to be mad, but you should treat it as an accident for now. I'd politely ask for a refund or new birds, and if they refuse, then I would re-evaluate from there. But start with the first things first. Wait for their reply, and hopefully they'll say it was ALL a mistake and send you the best birds they can find for you!
I have a question, though.. What're you planning on doing with the chicks?
hmm.png

What?! I'm sorry to hear that SundownWaterfowl
sad.png
The only thing that I think they would be useful for is being foster moms
hmm.png
As for complaining, I have no clue. My guess would be to send a strongly worded email. I don't know if this will help, but one of my white silkies has a single comb and I ordered it from Ideal.
hmm.png

Quote:
I was polite, and let her know that I was dissapointed in the quality. I also told her how they have crooked beaks and twisted faces, and the wrong comb type. I hope that it was a mistake and she will give me a full refund, or send me some actual buff silkies for no charge.

I was planning to breed them to my buff silkies I hatched from FlufNStuff, and start working on my own line to breed, and eventually show. Those birds I hatched were amazing! All are clear buffs. Perfect!

I would never sell chicks that looked like that, and advertise them as show quality. Im treating it as an accident, but if they come back with something snotty, or that oh well, its what you got, then I will be even more mad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom