Buff Sussex

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fuffy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    I have 5 week-old buff sussex babies. Have been trying to get some for 1 1/2 years! VERY excited. [​IMG]

Does anyone out there have experience of these?

2 are a bit darker than the others. And of those 2, one is a little bigger already and has a dark stripe on it's head. It also seems a bit feistier than the rest ... More nosey, if you like. [​IMG]

I'm thinking the darker ones are boys. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Congrats on being able to obtain them. I love buff varieties, but do not have sussex. Buff can show varied shades of light to dark. I hear the breed is very nice and I had a speckled rooster who was just that. Very friendly, timid and overall good bird. Enjoy!

3. Fuffy

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Thank you hinkjc! [​IMG]

As I live on an island, I have to get hatching eggs by post if I want some choice in the breeds. [​IMG]

Luckily I have an ideal mamma hen who just LOVES being responsible for the new blood in my little flock [​IMG]

Tried last year and got a beautiful cockerel ... Who is an amazingly bright white with the columbian markings! NOT what I was after at all!!!! [​IMG]

This year in February 9 never made it out of the shell and the 10th had its innards stuck to the shell and died a slow and agonizing death!!!! [​IMG]

So, as you can imagine, these babies are VERY special to me!!!! [​IMG]

4. Fuffy

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG]

Not great photgraphy, but you can see the 'boy' with the striped head and a 'girl'

Any views, anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by