buff wyandotte crossed with rhode island red..

LaSombra

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Washington
would this be a sex link? if so, what colors would the babies be? I have a chick that's this cross and it came out buff. Just trying to see if I can figure out if it's a girl or boy.

Thanks for any help
smile.png

Ok

Well to make any type of red Sexlink, ( there are several names they go by), you have to breed a roo with gold genes ( this could be any RIR. NHR, buff, or Partridge colored bird) to hens that have silver genes ( this would be Rhode Island Whites, Delawares, Columbian colored hens, Silver laced hens, and some white rocks though it wouldn't be adviseable to use white rocks because not all white rocks have the silver genes and you can't tell just by looking at them, White leghorns and White Cornish Rocks also do not have the silver genes and couldn't be used for sexlinks.)

But with the right hen and roo combination, you will get red colored female chicks and white male chicks.

You can also get Black Sexlinks by useing Barred hens ( Rocks, Dominiques, C. Marans, etc..) with any color male as long as he is not barred and not dominant white. He can be any of the gold gene roos I mentioned in the privious cross, as well as other colors like Black, Blue, Splash, Laced, Mille, and bacicly any other color.

This will give female chicks that are mostly black and males that are barred.

OK, thanks a lot for the explanation. It really did help. I guess I was not thinking of reds and buff as both being gold and that mostly confused me. Makes sense now
smile.png

The black sex links are pretty easy to understand.

Back
Top Bottom