1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buffalo gnats...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Momagain1, May 13, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    how do you control them??

They can kill a chicken within a few hours around here (from what the farmers have said!)...they are terrible and just hang around your eyes and nose/mouth...

my girls are shaking their face every few seconds...they have even retreated to their coop...even though its too hot to be in there the
    whole day...

I cannot (meaning dont have ability) get a fan out there to have breezes to keep them away...

any ideas??

2. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    anyone?

3. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Try putting some vanillaroma air fresheners in the coop and run, and/or, try spraying the chickens with real vanilla extract.

4. Betsy57

Betsy57 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Murphysboro IL USA
    Quote:I live in southern Illinois and I've noticed them out now too and driving my poor chickies nuts too. I bought some Poultry Protector spray from Murray McMurray Hatchery and it works really well. You just spray the chickies with it as a fine mist and keep it out of their eyes/nose.

5. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Thanks!! I'll try the vanilla as I dont have the poultry stuff!

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by