Getting chickens used to handling

Aug 12, 2023
Hi everyone! I have three 14 week old chickens and I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting them used to handling? One of them, my light Sussex is completely fine with handling and and will even fall asleep on my lap. She’s honestly like a small dog. We got them when they were 10 weeks old and they were all terrified of us but within no time, they follow us around and come when called. However, my welsummer and buff Sussex hate handling. I can occasionally stroke them but they regularly dodge our hands and get annoyed! I have handled them a couple times but they are really loud, scratchy, and stressed. I’m wondering if I should just do it every day starting with a few seconds and build up the time until they eventually get used to it. I’m not sure if that will make them worse though. I really want to be able to handle them as it’s safer incase of an emergency, health checking etc. Thank you!! :)

When I was trying to get my chicks used to being touched, I'd stroke their wing feathers with the back of my index finger, barely touching them. I say, "Safe with momma, safe with momma." Two of them like stroking, two are okay, and the fifth is just barely okay with it. She -- Robin -- has gotten on the arm of my chair in the last two days... that's new for her. I stroked her while she was preening. That was a distraction, so I think was the difference.

There is no sure technique to tame chickens other then being repetitive around them.

I don't necessarily tame all my birds there just naturally friendly.

As for doing health checks grab them off there roost at night.
Thank you! I think they are tame, they nap next to us when we are with them, come running when called, eat out of our hands, follow us everywhere but they just hate being picked up. We spend 2-3 hours a day with them

When I was trying to get my chicks used to being touched, I'd stroke their wing feathers with the back of my index finger, barely touching them. I say, "Safe with momma, safe with momma." Two of them like stroking, two are okay, and the fifth is just barely okay with it. She -- Robin -- has gotten on the arm of my chair in the last two days... that's new for her. I stroked her while she was preening. That was a distraction, so I think was the difference.
That’s what i am doing now and they seem okay with it. My buff Sussex is the most skittish but loves to fly up into chairs to try get more treats!

Back
Top Bottom