Buffaol Knats are driving me crazy!

mylittlefarm

Hatching
10 Years
May 1, 2009
We spray the coop once a year and hubby did it last weekend, but didn't spray the 6 week old chicks. They are going crazy today with the knats all over them. I know they have to be sprayed or they will die. I hate them buffalo knats.

I called the Farm Supply and they told me to spray a fine most over them, being sure tot ake up their water supply first so it doesn't get contaminated.

One of the ckicks died lastnight and he said it looked wet thin morning. not sure what would cause that, but I suspect the knats got it.

Buffaol knats look like little black flies.... one half the size of a pencil lead.

They will bite yhou and leave a whelp. Then you know they are bothering the chickens.

Look up buffalo gnats, buffalo knats or buffaol nats and read up. They will kill your flock, but farm supply has spray you mix and to spray the coop and chickens.

Beware these boogers they're blood suckers and will drain a chicken of every drop of blood.

I never heard of them either until I started losing chickens and the man at the poultry farm told me to spray for buffalo gnats.

ere is a quote from the symptoms area.

"Livestock and poultry are sometimes killed by large numbers of black flies. Death seems, in most cases, to be the consequence of a toxemia caused by the bites or the result of an anaphylactic shock; although debility resulting from blood loss and suffocation brought about by inhalation of the flies is apparently a contributing cause. In addition, certain species are known to transmit leucocytozoon, microfilaria, and trypanosome infections in poultry."

Back
Top Bottom