1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bug control

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by rhoda_bruce, Dec 13, 2009.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I am from the very deep south and my main bug problem is fleas, mesquitos and ants. What do ya'll think will be my satisfaction level when I return to guineas in the spring?

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I am not sure, I know my chickens try to catch flies, but I hear that Guineas are WONDERFUL!

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well rhoda, I think you will achieve great success. However, it may take a couple years to notice a difference.

This is my second go around with guineas. The first was with only 4 that I hen hatched in So. FL. Three of them made a marked difference in mosquitoes after a couple years. Now I`m in middle GA and have 19 keets that I got at the end of July. My hope is to control ticks, but I`ve been told by many that they eat anything that crawls. Good luck........POp

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    That would be wonderful. The ants can be unreal. The fleas don't like me and stay away, but they love my husband. I know you warned me about my bees......I think I might cage them in for protection. What a crazy set up I will have. [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If Guineas eat ants and can coexist with chickens, sign me up!!!

I'm SUUUUURE DH would just looooove them, since they're loud and all that jazz. [​IMG]

6. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    other then my guineas getting killed when penned up they are great i haven't lost one once i left the free range they are too wary and flighty
    i trying raising one in my house with my kids it very very people friendly hopefully it stays this way now that its with the rest of the flock.
    i you dont mind the noise they are a great addition to any flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by