Bugbite? Swollen Leg!

FrancesR

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Hawi
One of my 2 month old sumatra girls has a very swollen leg, from hip to ankle, not including foot. She's standing one-legged, and only uses the leg to move if she has to. She has been eating (full crop) and pooping, but I removed her from the brood shed so the others won't notice her vulnerability. I looked closely at her leg and found a patch of skin close to the ankle that was very pink. Her whole leg clear up to her hip feels hot. I looked even closer at the pink spot and found two small dots close together. I gently squeezed the area and tiny drops of blood came out. Here in Hawaii we have nasty centipedes that are venomous, even the baby ones. I'm wondering if she was bit by one or perhaps a spider. I washed her leg and foot with peroxide, dried it and put a tiny bit of terramycin ointment on the area. I'm wondering if there is something else I should do. She is eating, which to me is always a good sign. For now, she's in a small kennel with shavings, food and water. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Can you find some children's liquid Benedryl? It sound very much like an allergic reaction. It's easy to overdose this med, so be very precise. You can give up to .5ml, but since she's a chick, I would go down to .2 or .3ml.

You can wait 24 hours and dose her one more time, and that's it. It should help.

Can you find some children's liquid Benedryl? It sound very much like an allergic reaction. It's easy to overdose this med, so be very precise. You can give up to .5ml, but since she's a chick, I would go down to .2 or .3ml.

You can wait 24 hours and dose her one more time, and that's it. It should help.
Great idea! An anti infIammatory should at least make her feel more comfortable. I can pick some up tomorrow and dose her a bit. Thanks very much!

Back
Top Bottom