bugs, but not mites on my chicken!

niralouise

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Portland, OR
This morning when I was holding my new 6 month old hen, I noticed a bunch bugs on my sleeve. They were tan-colored, half of a grain of rice sized, burrowing, semi-hard body, 2 part body, no wings, not maggot, not mite, no visible legs and not lice. She just came from a farm and I never seen this before.
I read the other posts and looked at the pictures of mites and lice. They are not these. Her legs are fine. She dust bathes too.
I took a picture, but it just looks like a beige half piece of rice.
Thanks so much.
PS What is DE?

Last edited:
It is definately some sort of parasite you need to get rid of quickly. I know this is sometimes controversial here, but I use Sevin 5% garden dust. I sprinkle it on the chickens vent area, and under the wings. It works quickly to kill the unwanted parasites. They say you should not eat any eggs laid for a short period following dusting however, we eat them anyway.

DE is diatomaceous earth, natural, effective, many uses for pets & animals, may be hard to find locally as you have to get food grade only - very important. When you get a moment, you could do a search here on it. Most folks seem to get it by mail...price is reasonable depending on the source, only the shipping price is painful. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom