Pale Comb Very Weak

KMurphyVT

Chirping
Aug 9, 2020
Hello,
I have 8 hens that are almost 3 and 1/2 years old. My one hen has been acting funny for about a week and a half. I’ve attached pictures. I’ve looked for mites or lice, but haven’t seen any. She’s not dust bathing or able to jump up into her coop. She is eating and drinking, just not as much as usual. Two of my other hens are attacking her so I’ve been trying to keep her separate. Some of my other hens are molting, but she doesn’t appear to be. A couple of months ago one of my hens, not sure who, was laying lash eggs, but it stopped. Could this have been her? Would she have survived this long? Any suggestions on how to help her?

Attachments

• IMG_9812.jpeg
    IMG_9812.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9811.jpeg
    IMG_9811.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Poor Girl!

Do you have clearer photos of her face and head? Does she have any facial swelling?
Any lesions inside her beak?

Very possible that she may be the one that was laying Lash Eggs.
Keeping her separated out/protected is a very good idea since the others are picking at her.

If she was the hen with Salpingitis, you can try treating with an antibiotic to see if that helps perk her up for a while. Amoxicillin or Baytril are good choices.
With reproductive problems, antibiotics are part of supportive care, they are to help with inflammation and infection, but are not a cure.

I'd work on hydration, if you have poultry vitamins give those a couple of times a week. Extra protein treats a few times a week may give her a boost as well (egg, fish, meat).

Do re-check her for lice/mites, if possible, get a fecal float to see if she needs deworming. See that her crop is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom