BUGS!! ever heard of this stuff? *more Questions*UPDATED-TRY IT!!*****

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kwynn's birds Alaska, Oct 13, 2008.

1. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I was noticing some of my birds itching themselves, and when I checked, i saw littlebugs. I'm pretty sure it's lice, and i feel awful because i just added seven more to my flock, and I don't want my new girls to get it too! (Or do they already have it?)

I was in Trustworthy yesterday, and i found sevin dust, and right next to it was a smaller can, called Buhach. It even says "for lice on chickens" on the back. i got a cn of each, but i was wondering if anyone else has heard of this stuff, has it been effective? There is a website, and it says it's an all natural pesticide.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Never heard of it myself-- What does it say is in it?

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've only heard of the sevin dust on BYC. Hrm.

ETA - btw, you'll get more replies & info if you update the thread title to include the product's name...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    K, the Buhach works great, and it's all natural. [​IMG]
    Cadre sells it, too.

5. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    It's called Genuine Buhach Insect powder. It's active Ingredient is Pryrethrins 0.9%. Their site address is www.buhach.com I dusted the house with sevin, and dusted the birds in the buhach. The website says it's all natural, so I gave it a shot. They don't seem to be itching too much any more, bit i will have to dust again, because it says that the product dosn't kill the eggs, just the bugs.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I use a pyrethrin-based poultry dust as well, and I feel relatively safe using pyrethrins on the chickens in the amounts contained in the dusting products. I do not know if Sevin has a withdrawal time for egg layers or meat birds, but perhaps other forum members will know this.

The main thing to remember is to reapply after 5 - 7 days. Most of the mites/lice have a 4 day egg cycle, so you will have to make sure you get the succeeding generations of critters. I also reapply right after rain, as bugs can often reappear then.

I use food-grade diatomaceous earth in the coop itself. It helps keep things dry, and also reduces bug populations.

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not use sevin after reading some recent threads on it.
    It does have a withdrawal time and someone actually posted a chart for the withdrawal time after using sevin. It was in a thread about a week ago.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Do you know how long it was, I just used some to dust the coop with not the chickens on Sat, Does all dust have this time ???? Should I get rid of the eggs ????

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE). I use DE where they dust, in their nests, their run, litter, and all over their coop. I don't care if any gets in their food as I use Food Grade DE. I have no pest problems with my birds. We had a daughter's dog as she couldn't keep it where she was staying. Well, recently the dog died at 15 yrs old, and shortly aferwards we had a flea infestation except around the chickens. I believe the DE protected them. I was told that when the fleas ingest the DE, it's an irritant and also works as an absorbant , dehydrates the feas and kills them

10. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Quote:Do you know how long it was, I just used some to dust the coop with not the chickens on Sat, Does all dust have this time ???? Should I get rid of the eggs ????

Here's a link for The Problems with Sevin (Carbaryl): http://www.healthyworld.org/sevin.html
    It
    mentions a scientific study showed that chickens treated for mites with a carbaryl dip laid eggs with carbaryl residue for 56 days after treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by