BUGS!! ever heard of this stuff? *more Questions*UPDATED-TRY IT!!*****

kwynn's birds Alaska

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Kenai, Alaska
I was noticing some of my birds itching themselves, and when I checked, i saw littlebugs. I'm pretty sure it's lice, and i feel awful because i just added seven more to my flock, and I don't want my new girls to get it too! (Or do they already have it?)

I was in Trustworthy yesterday, and i found sevin dust, and right next to it was a smaller can, called Buhach. It even says "for lice on chickens" on the back. i got a cn of each, but i was wondering if anyone else has heard of this stuff, has it been effective? There is a website, and it says it's an all natural pesticide.

Last edited:
I've only heard of the sevin dust on BYC. Hrm.

ETA - btw, you'll get more replies & info if you update the thread title to include the product's name...

Last edited:
K, the Buhach works great, and it's all natural.
thumbsup.gif

Cadre sells it, too.

It's called Genuine Buhach Insect powder. It's active Ingredient is Pryrethrins 0.9%. Their site address is www.buhach.com I dusted the house with sevin, and dusted the birds in the buhach. The website says it's all natural, so I gave it a shot. They don't seem to be itching too much any more, bit i will have to dust again, because it says that the product dosn't kill the eggs, just the bugs.

I use a pyrethrin-based poultry dust as well, and I feel relatively safe using pyrethrins on the chickens in the amounts contained in the dusting products. I do not know if Sevin has a withdrawal time for egg layers or meat birds, but perhaps other forum members will know this.

The main thing to remember is to reapply after 5 - 7 days. Most of the mites/lice have a 4 day egg cycle, so you will have to make sure you get the succeeding generations of critters. I also reapply right after rain, as bugs can often reappear then.

I use food-grade diatomaceous earth in the coop itself. It helps keep things dry, and also reduces bug populations.

I would not use sevin after reading some recent threads on it.
It does have a withdrawal time and someone actually posted a chart for the withdrawal time after using sevin. It was in a thread about a week ago.

Quote:
Do you know how long it was, I just used some to dust the coop with not the chickens on Sat, Does all dust have this time ???? Should I get rid of the eggs ????

I use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE). I use DE where they dust, in their nests, their run, litter, and all over their coop. I don't care if any gets in their food as I use Food Grade DE. I have no pest problems with my birds. We had a daughter's dog as she couldn't keep it where she was staying. Well, recently the dog died at 15 yrs old, and shortly aferwards we had a flea infestation except around the chickens. I believe the DE protected them. I was told that when the fleas ingest the DE, it's an irritant and also works as an absorbant , dehydrates the feas and kills them

Quote:
Do you know how long it was, I just used some to dust the coop with not the chickens on Sat, Does all dust have this time ???? Should I get rid of the eggs ????

Here's a link for The Problems with Sevin (Carbaryl): http://www.healthyworld.org/sevin.html
It
mentions a scientific study showed that chickens treated for mites with a carbaryl dip laid eggs with carbaryl residue for 56 days after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom